Re: 3rd RFD: rec.woodworking.all-ages

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Susan Welchel) wrote:

Better check your dictionary, Susan. Those are _vulgarities_.
"Damn", "G**damn", and "Hell" are profanities: "Profane: characterized by irreverence for God or sacred things."

So things like "what a dumba**" or "you bet your a**" would be ok, huh? You can say those on the radio, or on network TV. Those didn't used to be permitted, I wish they still weren't, but that's the way it is.

That's fine -- I'm right glad to hear it. But that does not in any way qualify him, or you, to moderate a newsgroup. You still haven't answered _any_ of the myriad objections that have been raised to the idea of having the two of you as moderators.
BTW -- it appears from the previous discussions that you and Vito are sharing living quarters. It further appears, from the difference in surnames, that you and Vito are not married. Isn't this a bit odd for two professing born-again Christians?
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:10:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

My (now ex-) wife and I were married by Ulster Free Presbyterians, the sort who make Lutherans look like real party animals. I wasn't even allowed to kiss the bride until standing well clear of the church steps. Yet she kept her maiden name, and the church had no problem with that.

Yes, of course I'm aware that this sort of thing happens. But surely you are aware as well that in America, in the vast majority of cases, even today, when a couple marries, the wife assumes the husband's surname.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

They don't need to answer those questions. They are no longer planning to be moderators.
--
Bill

Then why is Susan still discussing which words are to be permitted, and which to be prohibited? Sounds to me like she's still planning to be a moderator, or at least a nanny.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:35:31 -0700, Susan Welchel wrote:

"my narrow and ill-conceived definition of"

Are you an adult, or just some mal-adjusted 4th grader? You can't type the words out, even if they're out of context? How are the rest of we, the unwashed masses, to know when we've crossed the line? Or is it an "I'll know it when I see it" kind of thing?

Will we be assigned some sort of grading system? Kinda like the DMV points system? What if I slip up and type "merde" into an otherwise relevant, on-topic post. Will I lose points? If I lose all my points will my posting privileges be revoked? Or would you mercifully allow "an occasional slip" to go unnoticed?

So "damn" is probably OK, but "goddamn" or "damn it all to hell", perhaps not. Will there be an index for us to reference while posting?

Damn, you are a fragile thing, aren't you? To allow simple words to have so much influence over your mood and state of mind must be a real challenge.

Well, we've been dancing around this since the original RFD was posted, but now here it is, naked and unvarnished. These proposals have not been about a friendlier rec.woodworking.*, they have been about legislated morality. Specifically, Christian morality. Except that the underlying belief system had been obscured so that voters would not know that they were really voting on rec.woodworking.christians-only.
If you really want a Christians-only woodworking group, go start alt.woodworking.christians. We don't need to split the rec.woodworking namespace for this.
<snip remainder>
--
Joe Wells

That's not entirely the best solution either, though, as *every* group in the alt. hierarchy is frequently spammed with all kinds of garbage. I'm sure that Vito and Susan don't want to go there.
More appropriate locations might be christnet.woodworking soc.religion.christian.woodworking
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:49:59 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I subscribe to several alt. newsgroups that have as little, if not less, spam and garbage as r.ww. It's entirely possible that my news provider is filtering at their server, however.

Maybe, but I don't see any other similar groups within either hierarchy. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't allow VK to establish his own fiefdom there.
--
Joe Wells

It is your provider filtering and/or not peering with providers that allow spaming type activities.
--
news:alt.pagan FAQ at http://www.dmcom.net/bard/altpag.txt
news:alt.religion.wicca FAQ at http://www.dmcom.net/bard/arwfaq2.txt

It is possible, albeit difficult, to create a moderated group in alt.*

This would seem to be the best choice. Note that the christnet.* hierarchy is administered by a different group of people from the big-8, so that proposal (or one for alt.*) would be off-topic to news.groups.
John
John McCoy responds:

Please God, it will also be off-topic here!
Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

<Huge Snip> ::::Waves white flag pokes hat over edge of trench, waits for hat to be shot::: Look Fellas, Seems like this crap happens every four years or so. There was talk then I think about splitting off another group right? Never happened. Seems the majority of political discussion died down after the election. A few die hards (Guilty as charged in some cases!) would post something every now and then, but that is easily ignored and/or filtered. I wouldn't worry about it. My 2 cents' worth, Beej ::::Ducks back down and tries to pull the trench in after him:::
Joe Wells wrote:

> Will we be assigned some sort of grading system? Kinda like the DMV

Impossible. This proposal is for an unmoderated group, which would have the qualitative effect of duplicating the existing group with a different name.
B/
Susan Welchel wrote:

My God even forgives Christians.
Let me know if you need any introductions.
UA100
On 22 Sep 2004 23:35:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Susan Welchel) calmly ranted:

4th RFD: Name Change to God's.rec.woodworking ?
-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Susan Welchel) wrote:

I am too old for this shit.
Somehow, I am willing to bet that one has already been used, but WTF, I couldn't help myself.
On 22 Sep 2004 23:35:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Susan Welchel) wrote:

so I can call you a self righteous asshole and that's fine?

No, that's in the "rude and disrespectful" category. You get points for accuracy, though, which may redeem you...
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Susan Welchel) writes:

Ah. Can Pagans, atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, and Satanists post too?
People who don't believe in Creationism? What about gays?

"I've always said there's nothing an agnostic can't accomplish if he really isn't sure whether or not he believes in anything." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus