Re: 3D Model of Dresser

Whats a VRML file? It wouldn't open. $50 sounds like a lot.
Be prepared to be labeled a spammer! This is a tough group.

detail
VRML is a file type that lets you spin the object around and view it from any side. VRML viewers are usually plug ins you download that run out of a web browser.
I guess the question of $50 being a lot depends on the cost of materials and time versus the value of something not looking the same in real life as it did on paper. I would suspect that most of you guys are pretty good at visualizing how something will look, but your clients may not be.
You can download VRML readers at http://ca.com/cosmo/ and http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/download/iexplore
Chris

Christian Rogers wrote:

How does VRML compare with QTVR, as shown on this page? http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1023S
-- Mark
Mark,
It is a similar type of thing. I don't know the technical differences, but VRML lets you rotate about all three axes, not just spin it in place. VRML is a little harder to use, but you can see the bottom and top of the work, not just the sides.
Chris

Christian Rogers wrote:

Thanks. My interest is more than casual. My best friend in college (1977-82) wrote (as far as we know) the world's first 3D parametric plotter. We spent many long hours between 12:00 am and 5:00 am on the college's mainframe computer, when clock cycles were much easier to get. ;-)
-- Mark

I'm only seeing a static picture of a table saw on that page. What am I missing out on?
Mike

You need to click on the 3D link, and have something like quicktime installed to make it work.
--
Best regards
Han

VRML == <V>irtual <R>eality <M>arkup <L>anguage.
A "portable" specification for describing 3-dimensional space, the objects in it, the 'viewpoint' of the observer, *and* the ability to manipulate all of those things -- both via automation (as in 'animation'), or manually/interactively. Appropriate 'viewer' software required.
The technology is *gross*overkill* for virtually all woodworking projects.
It'd be justified for something that would be considered a 'sculpture-like' work.
Or, something like the cover art on the book "Goedel, Escher, Bach", which which is a carved cube of wood. lit (square on to the face), from one axis the shadow is the letter 'G', from the second axis, the letter 'E', and from the third access, the letter 'B'. It's an _interesting_ construction problem.
Wonder what he'd charge to do a VRML of Escher's "Waterfall". <grin>
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

Can't wait to see that!
--
Best regards