Re: 3 PC Drill Battery packs failed nearly at once.

I have a Porter Cable 9.6V drill. It came with three battery packs.

>I usually use two and switch between them. >It's in my handyman's bag, and I use it once every few weeks. > >Well, when I plugged the battery pack into the carger unit, pack #1 >flashed both red and green LED's. That means the battery's no good. > >So I charge up the third pack, while using pack #2. So far so good. > >I recharged #2 and #3 a couple of times. I think. > >So now, #2 flashes red and green while charging. So i popped in #3, >and it too fails. Why would two packs fail at the same time? > >It seems like all three failed within two month's timeframe (as I >said, I don;t use it much). > >Is it the battery packs? Or the charger? > >It seems strange that all three would fail at about the same time. > >Since the charger is $80, and two battery packs are also about $80, >it's expensive to guess wrong. I didn't like the drill, so I'm >thinking a new one around Cristmas... > >I was just wondering if others have seen this (multiple battery packs >failing at same time), or is it just me?

You might send one of the batteries out to have it refurbished (new cells). It generally costs about half what a new pack costs. I had the cells for my 14.4V Porter Cable drill replaced for about $35, IIRC. They're good as new. You can also do it yourself but I found it didn't save much money.

Reply to
krw

Most batteries fail from age, not use. So,if, they are all the same age they will all fail about the same time.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

That is simply not true. Li, for example, has a very definite number of recharge cycles, usually something like 500. It doesn't matter much over what time period or the depth of the cycles, 500ish is all you get.

BTW, I have a few 30yo GE NiCds that still hold a charge. Every once in a while I run across them and give 'em a charge to see.

Reply to
krw