Re: 24x30 garage workshop - legend and notes [1/5] LONGISH

I agree with almost everything you said, Dave, but want to point out that a CAD program does *not* suggest that objects are static. It's a representation of the real world, not the real world itself. Anyone who doesn't realize that tools are capable of being moved around has no business playing with them in the first place.
Here are some clues that the equipment is meant to be moved:
"...jointer is easily moved away from wall for use" "...dust collector near door: easy to roll outside" "...belt sander easily repositioned for long pieces" "...router table ...can be moved away easily" "...oscillating sander can use router table..." "...thickness planer moves to the assembly table" "...Sheet goods bin ...2" metal wheels allow it to swing away from the lumber rack." "...sharpening station (on wheels)" "...mechanic's tool chest (on wheels)"
I disagree when you say that "The best way to arrange is in the shop; not on the pc." Pushing many hundreds of pounds of equipment back and forth to find the best location takes second place to a little intelligent forethought and planning, and that's *exactly* what CAD programs are designed for. And this particular program allows one to move stuff around in real time, just by clicking and dragging, including in 3-D, all in exact scale. You really should take a look at it. Hey, it beats sweating any time, and it darned sure beats purchasing a piece of equipment only to find out later that you don't really have the proper space for it. Probably if I was less that 2000 miles away from my shop, I would do a little pushing and shoving, but I'm not, so I can't!
Sorry if I sound testy, Dave: maybe I am just misinterpreting the tone of your message. It's just that you seem to be saying the exact same things in your note that I said in my post, but with a scolding tone. Maybe it's just me. I really do look for positive and constructive feedback, Dave, and hope I haven't reacted to hastily.
DanD

CAD is a wonderful tool. Souns as though you have really thought it through. Good luck! Like everybody else, you'll find some things you'll change when you actually start using it.

Now Dave, let's not be silly. Does one go out and build a house by having a load of lumber delivered and start assembling it without a plan? Even without room layouts? I realize a house is "static" but a shop is static to a point also. One can "plan" for tool mobility in laying out the shop and allowing space as necessary.
Renata
wrote: --snip--

(no stain for email)
Very nice layout, Dan. Someone has commented that their favorite tool is their workbench. That's the first time I thought of a workbench as a tool instead of furniture and I've concluded they are correct. Carrying the comparison further, I guess my favorite tool would be my shop. ;>) I have a similar layout to what you propose, however, I've turned the assembly table 90 deg. and butted it up to the outfeed side of the saw and find it very effective as an outfeed table, especially for 4x8 sheets. I'm sure a lot of folks who will never say so will find your pictures and legend very helpful. Congratulations on a very constructive post.

up
years
my
by
the
plan
goods)
blast
lower
eye
drill
inexpensive
curve
email
from
and I agree with using a pc as a starting point. my point was that EVENTUALLY you have to USE your tools, and the ONLY definitive layout is achieved in real life. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a leg up by trial and error by shifting things around on screen, but I'm sure even you know that "the proof is in the pudding". in this case, the pudding is "the real world". I wasn't saying NOT to start with CAD. what I said was what was "best". I certainly wasn't scolding you <g>
and what is with the comment about moving heavy stuff around? don't you have heavy items on mobile carts? <g>
dave