RE: 1941/12/07

Least we not forget.
Lew
On 12/7/2011 3:03 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

OR let some in the US rewrite history
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:16:09 -0500, knuttle

Or as phrased in "1984" "correct history"
snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote in wrote:

History is for the winners to write.
FWIW, before Pearl Harbor, there were other surprise wars. Since I'm originally Dutch, this example. Although the Dutch were preparing to defend themselves at traditional defensive settings, the May 10, 1940 attacks were a surprise, not preceded by a declaration of war by Germany. After 5 days of battle near my home town and elsewhere, and the aerial destruction of the center of Rotterdam, the Dutch were forced to surrender. A somewhat smaller scale of the attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor, and a similar defeat of insufficiently prepared and/or equipped defenders.
--
Best regards
Han

All true, but his post was about a unique American experience, tied directly to this day. It wasn't about the past injustices around the world, nor did it downplay any others. Unlike European history, Americans don't have many, many centuries of conquest, war and butchery on our own soil. For those that remember the attack on this anniversary, and for those that are related or know those that were involved in some way, and for those that sacrificed because of the events of December 7, 1941, we honor this day.
And with all due respect to you for the gentleman that you are (sincerely, no kidding around), this would be the same as you starting a thread on the invasion of Rotterdam and me posting
"hey - that's not an isolated incident. Even though it's May 10th and special to you guys, you also need to remember Pearl Harbor here in the USA when you talk about the anniversary of the destruction of Rotterdam."
In some ways we do little to honor our vets and military in the USA. This is one of the days we do.
Robert

Sorry, there was absolutely no intention to not pay homage to those who perished and to all the brave men and women who fought that day and all days following. Please note that my gratitude to all those who fought fascism is extreme. After all, if the US and its allies wouldn't have defeated Germany, I wouldn't be around now, and even more of my family would have perished in the camps.
--
Best regards
Han

I do honor this day as well, and I should point out that there has been alot of savage wars fought right here in the US. The civil war was nothing but brutal for those who fought in it, and the wars against others on this continent were also less than gentle! I just wanted to point out that a surprise attack was really not so exceptional in the early 40's, and that rhetoric (FDR Is one of my favorites!) seems to have obscured the fact (IMNSHO) that US naval commanders were too complacent. That does not diminish the heroism of the men on the Arizona and other ships and US planes in the least.

I "grok" that, and submit my apologies if my words offended anyone. That was certainly not the intent.

And, Robert, I honor them today and every day as well. I just didn't hang out my flag today as I did on Veterans Day.
--
Best regards
Han

huh? did you mean "lest we forget"?