RE: 12/07/1941

Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.
Lew
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:26:27 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Good point, Lew! My Mom's email yesterday stated that for her generation is was like the Twin Towers.
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

But they remembered it longer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on this, but the phrase is:
"Lest We Forget"
Yes, we owe a great debt of gratitude to the "Greatest Generation."
Gus wrote:

Well put, Gus. One hero lives across the street. He's 89 now. Was a Lancaster (Halifax) bomber pilot. Distinguished Flying Cross. 35 missions. I helped him rake his leaves... he matched me bag-for-bag LOL.
The guy 2 doors East from me ran an underground newspaper in Holland during WW2. Distribution 200. He got his news from an illegal radio hidden in the floorboards. He's 85. He's my dad.
"Greatest Generation."... I think you're right. They sure-as-hell don't make them like than any more.
I try. Hard.

I don't know. Some of those young men and women we have now may qualify. They understand the threat, understand what we are up against, and have volunteered anyway. Hats off to them!

Robatoy wrote:
> One hero lives across the street. He's 89 now. Was a Lancaster > (Halifax) bomber pilot. Distinguished Flying Cross. 35 missions. I > helped him rake his leaves... he matched me bag-for-bag LOL.
Some very sobering thoughts for me happened while sailing on the Great Lakes and visiting Canadian ports in Ontario.
A visit to the town square of Kincardine, on the shores of Lake Huron, reveals a plaque with the names of those Canadians lost during WWII and documents the fact they were in the war long before the US.
Considering the total population of the area, they paid a hell of a price.
A visit to Colebourne <s/p> on Lake Erie shows the training site used by the Brits to train fighter pilots.
> The guy 2 doors East from me ran an underground newspaper in Holland > during WW2. Distribution 200. He got his news from an illegal radio > hidden in the floorboards. > He's 85. > He's my dad.
Stories like the your fathers provided material to Hollywood for a lot of movies after the war.
Used to watch them when they ran movies on late night TV while I was still in school.
Lew