RBI Sander?

Anyone ever hear of a drum sander by RBI or something like that? A friend wrote down a note from someone who's selling this tool:
Here's the note verbatim:
RBI 36" Drum Sander 5HP Baldor $2000
I know the Baldor motor, but I've never heard of RBI (nor can I find much on the web). Is this a company that makes industrial tools?
-Mike
Mike Pio wrote:

Who's the distributor? I don't recognize the acronym...

It's just a private seller who apparently has this machine he wants to sell. For this price, I'd imagine it must be a pretty good tool, but I know nothing about the company. Since I posted, I found this site. Is it same company? http://www.rbiwoodtools.com
-m
Mike Pio wrote:

Must (apparently) be...I'd ask the seller for confirmation--I'd presume he'd know where it came from.
Interesting history there if you click the "About..." link. I knew Foley-Belsaw had captured manufacturer, but didn't know who it was...
Mike Pio wrote:

Well, on looking some more, I don't see any drum sanders in their current line...
I vaguely remember a company RBI that built high end scrollsaws. They may have built drum sanders too. Robert
Mike Pio wrote:

I did a google on RBI sander.. and got a ton of hits.. most, as you can guess, are related to baseball..
However, looks like they made a high end 36" sander similar to the Performax and other thickness sanders

Was there a picture of a description of that sander in your search results? Did you happen to save the link?

Yes there was.. and no, I didn't.. you can find it if you run the search. You are probably more adept at it than I am to filter out the baseball stuff..
Bill

Here's RBI site, maybe they can help:
<http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/s/static/about_rbi/about_rbi.htm
A google search was done on RBI and baseball links filled the page. Sometime back I was looking for some info on baseball stats, in particular, the pitcher's Earned Run Average. How the heck is this thing figured?

Kevin wrote:

ERA = EarnedRuns/InningsPitched * 9
For example, 3 runs in 6-2/3 innings --> 3/6.666...*9 = 4.050 ERA
It's simply ratio-ing the earned runs allowed in a (fractional) number of innings pitched to the length of a nine-inning regulation game.

It's a measure of the pitcher's effectiveness, apart from his teammates' ability to field the ball. :-) Simply looking at the number of runs a pitcher gives up is not a good measure of how good a pitcher he is; look at the Mets in the mid-1960s for example. Seaver, Koosman, and McGraw had the misfortune to be pitching in front of fielders who couldn't catch or throw. Lots of what should have been routine pop flies or ground-ball outs turned into runners on second base.
From <http://www.netshrine.com/statglossary.html :
Earned Runs [ER]
When batters reach base as a result of walks, safe hits, or fielder's choice, and subsequently score runs on the basis of other walks, safe hits, or fielder's choices, then the runs scored are said to be earned. Baserunners reaching base are the responsibility of the pitcher who was pitching when they appeared at the plate, although they may score when another pitcher is pitching. Passed balls are treated as errors by the catcher, and may result in a run being classed as unearned. Wild pitches and balks by the pitcher do not excuse him from receiving responsibility for runs which score as a direct or indirect result of such pitching mistakes. Errors charged to the pitcher do count in making runners into potential unearned runs.
The official scorer is charged with the difficult task of determining when a run is earned and when it is unearned. It is often a matter of judgement whether a run that scored would have scored in any event had not the error occurred.
When a new pitcher is announced, he does not receive the benefit of prior errors in determining whether runners he allows to reach base and which subsequently score are earned or unearned. For example, if there are two outs in an inning and there was an error which allowed a batter to reach base safely, a newly announced pitcher who then gives up a home run to the first batter faced would be charged with an earned run for the run represented by that batter.
--
Regards,
The company is (was) RBI Industries...

So I finally broke down and called RBI. Turns out, they used to make this 36" drum sander but stopped production on it 4 years ago. If I bought it, they said it's still serviceable. I may have to go look at it. $2000 for a 36" sander doesn't sound like too bad a price to me.
Mike Pio wrote:

Is it an open- (Performax) or closed-end type? What kind of tracking, feed mechanism, etc.? Did you ask what it sold for originally? Can you test drive it? Why is it being sold (sometimes people are unloading problem children, sometimes it's a steal, sometimes it's in between).
Some of the questions I'd want answered....some are obvious when you see, some may not be so much so.