RBI Sander?

Anyone ever hear of a drum sander by RBI or something like that? A friend wrote down a note from someone who's selling this tool:

Here's the note verbatim:

RBI 36" Drum Sander

5HP Baldor $2000

I know the Baldor motor, but I've never heard of RBI (nor can I find much on the web). Is this a company that makes industrial tools?

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pio

Who's the distributor? I don't recognize the acronym...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It's just a private seller who apparently has this machine he wants to sell. For this price, I'd imagine it must be a pretty good tool, but I know nothing about the company. Since I posted, I found this site. Is it same company?

Mike Pio

he'd know where it came from.

Interesting history there if you click the "About..." link. I knew Foley-Belsaw had captured manufacturer, but didn't know who it was...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

current line...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I vaguely remember a company RBI that built high end scrollsaws. They may have built drum sanders too. Robert

Mike Pio wrote:

Reply to
Knotbob

I did a google on RBI sander.. and got a ton of hits.. most, as you can guess, are related to baseball..

However, looks like they made a high end 36" sander similar to the Performax and other thickness sanders

Reply to
WeeWilly

Was there a picture of a description of that sander in your search results? Did you happen to save the link?

Reply to
Mike Pio

Yes there was.. and no, I didn't.. you can find it if you run the search. You are probably more adept at it than I am to filter out the baseball stuff..

Bill

Reply to
WeeWilly

Here's RBI site, maybe they can help:

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

A google search was done on RBI and baseball links filled the page. Sometime back I was looking for some info on baseball stats, in particular, the pitcher's Earned Run Average. How the heck is this thing figured?

Reply to
Kevin

ERA = EarnedRuns/InningsPitched * 9

For example, 3 runs in 6-2/3 innings --> 3/6.666...*9 = 4.050 ERA

It's simply ratio-ing the earned runs allowed in a (fractional) number of innings pitched to the length of a nine-inning regulation game.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

So I finally broke down and called RBI. Turns out, they used to make this

36" drum sander but stopped production on it 4 years ago. If I bought it, they said it's still serviceable. I may have to go look at it. $2000 for a 36" sander doesn't sound like too bad a price to me.
Reply to
Mike Pio

Is it an open- (Performax) or closed-end type? What kind of tracking, feed mechanism, etc.? Did you ask what it sold for originally? Can you test drive it? Why is it being sold (sometimes people are unloading problem children, sometimes it's a steal, sometimes it's in between).

Some of the questions I'd want answered....some are obvious when you see, some may not be so much so.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It's a measure of the pitcher's effectiveness, apart from his teammates' ability to field the ball. :-) Simply looking at the number of runs a pitcher gives up is not a good measure of how good a pitcher he is; look at the Mets in the mid-1960s for example. Seaver, Koosman, and McGraw had the misfortune to be pitching in front of fielders who couldn't catch or throw. Lots of what should have been routine pop flies or ground-ball outs turned into runners on second base.

From :

Earned Runs [ER]

When batters reach base as a result of walks, safe hits, or fielder's choice, and subsequently score runs on the basis of other walks, safe hits, or fielder's choices, then the runs scored are said to be earned. Baserunners reaching base are the responsibility of the pitcher who was pitching when they appeared at the plate, although they may score when another pitcher is pitching. Passed balls are treated as errors by the catcher, and may result in a run being classed as unearned. Wild pitches and balks by the pitcher do not excuse him from receiving responsibility for runs which score as a direct or indirect result of such pitching mistakes. Errors charged to the pitcher do count in making runners into potential unearned runs.

The official scorer is charged with the difficult task of determining when a run is earned and when it is unearned. It is often a matter of judgement whether a run that scored would have scored in any event had not the error occurred.

When a new pitcher is announced, he does not receive the benefit of prior errors in determining whether runners he allows to reach base and which subsequently score are earned or unearned. For example, if there are two outs in an inning and there was an error which allowed a batter to reach base safely, a newly announced pitcher who then gives up a home run to the first batter faced would be charged with an earned run for the run represented by that batter.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The company is (was) RBI Industries...

Yes, they maid scroll saws and "multi-function wood planers"

Current web site...

function was a Planer.

Options included - Molder, Drum Sander, Gang Saw (trim moldings & mold in 1 pass) They were "gray" back then (i.e. - their Gray line) The scroll saws were Red...

Now their planer is "advertised" a 3 function device (the drum sander function has been dropped, don't know why...) The Drum sander and Molder functions required you to change (remove) the planer head, then install the other head...

Hope this helps...

Rob

Reply to
Robert Steinle