rattle inside (I think) ridgid 6"" jointer motor

Hi,
I'm wondering if someone can coach me on the following problem.
A few weeks ago, in the middle of some jointing, my 6" ridgid jointer (about a year old, not much used), started a rattle/knocking. I completed the jointing job --jointing does not seem to be affected-- and started looking for the rattle. It appears to be coming from within the motor (I can clearly feel the 'knocking' when I put my hand on the motor enclosure while it's spinning; there is no play in the pulleys; and the knocking/rattling does not tranfer to the cutterhead).
I really don't want to have to take the motor off and open it up, partly because I would not know what I'm looking at :-)
I know this is a long shot, but I'm wondering if the 'knocking' that I'm hearing is some sort of a 'standard' defect, something that someone who understands these motors immediately recognizes.
Bottom line is that I don't know what to do? Have the motor checked out somewhere?
Can you advise me?
Rene
snipped-for-privacy@bus.oregonstate.edu wrote:

you have isolated the problem to the motor. If it is still in warranty, call Ridgid. If not in warranty, call a motor repair service or call the repair service for Ridgid. They may well be able to determine the problem by listening to it run or even talking to you about it.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

On 14 Jul 2006 18:23:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bus.oregonstate.edu wrote:

Is it a TEFC motor? On my Ridgid table saw the motor started to make something like a rattle when the saw was coming to a stop. Turns out the fan was hitting its cover. I could see a spot of bare metal on the inside of the cover when I took it off. Repositioning it took care of it.
-Leuf
Gerald, Leon and Leuf,
Thanks for the pointers; you gave me some directions to explore.
Rene
snipped-for-privacy@bus.oregonstate.edu wrote:

Looks like Gerald's advise worked. After I removed the belt and ran the motor, the motor was very, very quiet. In addition, I now noticed considerable play on the motor pulley (with the belt still on, the pulley seemed tight on the shaft). I retightened the pulley with the hex set screw (hopefully it'll stay put now) and the rattle/knocking disappeared.
Thanks for your help!
RR
snipped-for-privacy@bus.oregonstate.edu wrote:
> I retightened the pulley with the > hex set screw (hopefully it'll stay put now) and the rattle/knocking > disappeared.
If it comes loose again, use Loctite.
Lew