Rattle Can ARRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Got a rattle can of Helmsan polyurethane to coat a plywood fixture that's going to get wet. Well, all went well for the first two coats, but halfway through the third, with about a quarter of the can used, the damned thing stuck open and wouldn't stop spraying. I tried pulling up on the nozzle and that just made it start shooting out the top after the nozzle came off. So I sprayed the basement steps until it was empty (I would really rather have swept them first but putting something on them has been on the to-do list for a while so it wasn't a total waste).

Never had that happen before, usually they clog before they're empty.

Annoyign thing about this one is that I can't even take it back for credit--who's gonna believe that I'm not just trying to mooch a freebie after I used it up?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You'll never know if you don't try. It's entirely possible yours won't be the first complaint about it, eiother. Those things usually run in batches.

Reply to
Twayne

"J. Clarke" < wrote

That is real funny, as long as it did not happen to me. I have to admit that spraying the basement steps was quick thinking. Perhaps next time you do this, you will sweep the steps, just in case history repeats itself.

I just need to know. How did you get out of the basement after spraying the steps? Did you have to hibernate while the poly dried. This would be a good thing to put into a slapstick type of comedy. Again, it is only funny if it happens to the other guy.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That was awesome! Thank you... I needed a good laugh.

Reply to
-MIKE-

One set of steps goes into the house, the other goes up to a hatch. The ones I sprayed were the ones under the hatch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Had that happen to me with a can of Great Stuff I was using to caulk behind a circuit breaker box.

"Fuck this!" I cried and tossed the mess over the fence (to a power company right-of-way).

Many months later, as I wal looking for a place to bury a pet, I found the aforementioned can. It was attached to a hardened spherical wad of Great Stuff about as big as a soccer ball.

I cut the ball loose and am saving it for a carving project.

Reply to
HeyBub

You are just chicken! Return the damn thing with conviction.

Reply to
Leon

Surely the problem, since it exits, is not unheard of. I think you're on really safe ground. As Leon suggested, it can't hurt to develop a bit of attitude before you go in...think of the 2 hours you spent cleaning up the mess...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

There wasn't any mess. It sprayed in the air for a few seconds while I opened the door to the stairs and that was about it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

PDFTFT.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No attitude needed. I thought this group was full of old people. Aren't old people always complaining about how nobody's friendly anymore? Either way, you're getting a refund. You can be a dick about it and get a refund or you can be nice about it and maybe lighten someone's day in the process.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Like the old saying that it is easier to catch butterflies with sugar than it is to catch them with vinegar. My hunch is that 'being nice' is a tall order for some.... not mentioning any names.

Reply to
Robatoy

To be fair, I was looking in the mirror when writing that. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Visit rec.crafts.metalworking these days and it will make you realize what a good thing we have going here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Man, ain't that the truth!!!

Political vitriol makes up over half the posts

Reply to
clare

"Bill" wrote

No attitude needed. I'd contact the manufacturer. Just tell them the story. They may even want the can back for inspection to find out what the problem was. I had a company do that with shaving gel that lost the propellant before the product finished. They sent me a return mailer and some coupons for free product.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

How quickly they forget.

PDFTFT = Please Don't Feed the F*cking Trolls and PHAFH = Plonk him and forget him.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques