RatsnFratsn@#*$& Harbor Freight double stick tape

I just tried some of the harbor freight double stick tape that I got for $9.99 for 6 rolls. This is not the same as the cheap double stick tape from Lowe's. It is just a layer of thick adhesive between the layers of paper. I put it on a mandolin top to stick it to the table to carve out the inside. After about 5 minutes of trying to peel off the top layer, I figured out what was going on. The tape didn't stick the wood to the table, but the tape stuck to the wood like a SOB. Wouldn't peel off, wouldn't scrape off. Mineral spirits turned it to snot (well most of it, there is still a layer of residue on top of the mandolin soundboard. What a mess.
Definite thumbs down.
Montyhp
.....buy another 6 rolls...then you'll have an even dozen to chuck over the fence...
Thanks for the review....I use the hell out of carpet tape for all kinds of stuff. Got any pics of the mando? I've got the beginnings of one I started but haven't gotten too far....SWMBO keeps me way busy with projects. I'm doing a flat top first but have a great piece of spruce I'm saving up for when I do attempt a carved top.
Greg
"Montyhp" <montyhp at yahoo.com> wrote in message

Greg, Right now I am prototyping my first ever mandolin (first instrument of any kind, really). It is a reproduction of an F-5 based on Siminoff's book. I know an archtop is challenging, but it needs to be special as the final product is going to be a retirement present for a good friend. The prototype has a doug fir soundboard and will have a cherry back, sides, and walnut/cherry laminated neck. The final instrument will have a spruce soundboard and curly maple back and sides. I hope to do a nice bald eagle head inlay on the peghead and feather shaped Mother of Pearl fret markers.
No pics yet. Maybe in a month or so.
Montyhp