Raspberry Pi Case

Page 2 of 4

On a tangent, spent a lot of time playing with speakers. Trying to determine best sound that could be had out of plastic enclosures. For our application unported was our only option. This was for a teleconferencing system, Bose though figured out that with tuned porting you can make shitty cheap speakers sound stupendous.
On 3/31/2016 3:28 PM, Markem wrote:

Once blessed with a good enough approximation of "Golden Ears" to supplement a self employed life style sufficient to put two kids through college, I lately find myself turning on CC on all NetFlix binges. ;)
Probably the reason how absolutely amazed I am at how good some of these new techology, small, shitty little speakers sound.
Have a small, and older BlueTooth box (Logitech UE BOOM) speaker that I take out to the deck in the evening for music playback of my cell phone.
Keep in mind I'm often listening to a lot of material that I recorded, produced, and mixed, so I know exactly what I wanted to hear, and should still hear, those many years ago.
Stupendous is a good word ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I really miss 20 hz to 40 hz.
On 3/31/2016 5:09 PM, Markem wrote:

The pup lets me know there's something there ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Better magnets is the main reason. Speakers with rare-earth magnets can move a lot more air for the same amount of input signal than the speakers we had 20 or more years ago. Which also means they're a lot better at overcoming their own inertia to follow the input signal.
John

Tuned Porting: "No highs. No lows. ...must be Bose."
krw wrote:

it". That said, I can understand why another's ear my prefer them...

I tend to prefer speakers without a cabinet, e.g. maggies.
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG
You will need a subwoofer.
(I'd love to have these: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_207 )
On 4/1/2016 8:43 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Those are incredible speakers although you need the space for them and it appears they have come down considerable in price. The last time I saw them, almost 13 years ago, they were in the $5K per pair range.

The MMG's were $500 when I bought mine a decade ago, but they've always been the low-end from Magnepan. The larger speakers, on the other hand...
On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:43:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

"Maggies"? You mean "electro-statics"?

FYI - 'e.g.' is an abbreviation that means 'for example'.
On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 14:11:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I know full well what 'e.g.' means. I don't know what it's an example of.

The same "amount" of air is in the box but the *volume* is not constant. The pressure is the inverse of the volume (for the given "amount" of air trapped in the box.

On 3/30/2016 1:48 AM, OFWW wrote:

Yes, speaker cone movement in a sealed enclosure neither creates or eliminates air. It simply compresses and decompress the air.
Leon wrote:

Not really Leon. The front of the speaker enclosure is open - or else you wouldn't hear the sound. Volume does change instantaneously as the cone moves. When you are pushing air out, you can't be sucking air in at the same time if the enclosure is sealed and the only opening is where the air is being pushed out. Compressing air if it can't escape to the outside world would not create sound in the outside world.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 3/30/2016 1:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

\> Naturally the front of the speaker cone is open, but the back is/was often ins an air tight environment.
I hate looking the info up but this kinda supports my comments.
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/sealed-vs-ported
Leon wrote:

Well... not so much. If I understand your earlier comments correctly, you are interpreting a sealed chamber to mean an completely sealed chamber. That's the point I commented on. It's not completely sealed as long as the front of the speaker is open. The balance of the speaker cabinet is neutralized to atmospheric pressure by that opening. It's only that sound is directed by that sealed back. Not that volume and/or pressure remain constant.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 3/30/2016 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

No the front of the speaker is open, obviously but the box in many cases is air tight. You probably came into the conversation late and are missing the key points.
Previous posts indicated the need for a vented port so that the speaker would operate. I said that this was not true. There seemed to be some thoughts that a speaker would not operate if it had a sealed compartment behind it, which is not true.
Leon wrote:

Agreed Leon - I did come into it late and maybe I misunderstood some points from the time I came in. I picked up on it where I thought I read that a sealed cabinet had a constant volume and that's where my initial comment entered. Sealed backs are one thing but there is no such thing as a speaker cabinet with a sealed compartment. At the very least, atmospheric pressure enters the chamber through the speaker cone.