RAS / chop saw station

Thanks to your help in a previous post regarding bearing adjustments on a Craftsman RAS, I have a nice new (old) RAS that's running like a champ. Now I want to give it a nice home. I have one wall in my shop that I could clear out for a full size RAS station with 6 foot on each side... but I've always wanted to have a similar station for my chop saw too. So I'm thinking of putting them both on the same station... next to each other.

Before saying that I should be able to put my chop saw away for good now that I have a RAS, keep in mind that the RAS is an older model and doesn't give me the ability to adjust for angles as easily as the miter, so I would like to keep the miter around (and would probably continue to use it more often than the radial).

My question is, does anyone see a drawback to this idea? Assumng the rails are perfectly aligned and there is enough space between the saws for full range of motion, I really can't see a problem. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, does anyone have a picture of a similar project?

Reply to
moore

This is a good solution, but you might make it so the chop saw can be removed in case you want to rip some extra wide ply etc with your RAS or do some moulding.

Reply to
Rumpty

I have my chopsaw right next to my RAS also. I built some storage cabinets around the chopsaw and dropped the level of the chopsaw so that the base was level with the bench. The RAS is also level with the bench (my RAS is to the right of the CS).

This has worked out fairly well for me. I had intended to dado in an extension fence along the top of the cabinets (melamine top), but when I thought about that, I didn't do it since it would have eliminated a lot of useful workspace. It is great for supporting long stock, even without the extra fence.

Also, since the RAS sticks out maybe 30 inches or so, wood that I had set for cutting would be obstructed by the CS, so I made the CS station deep enough so that I could push it back (toward the wall) out of the way. You CS may not have this problem (I have a Makita).

All in all, I think this is a pretty good idea with no obvious drawbacks.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I knew I was missing something obvious (although clearly not a deal breaker). I'll be sure to make the miter saw (re)movable when I design this. I like the sliding back idea.

Thanks fo pointing that out guys, Moore

Reply to
moore