RAS and CMS combo table

I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes: *10' length of table *removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades *R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s) *## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet) *Plum in dust collection to both saws *More light over table
OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all would be apreciated. TIA, C
No real expertise here, but I'm looking at the same-ish set-up. My CMS is mounted to a small cabinet on locking casters, indexed between the right and left tables. It's a DeWalt, and has a dust port on the back which I've plumbed into the central DC ductwork. I'm betting that your RAS also has this provision? It doesn't get all the dust (so what else is new), but hey, it's a workshop. The other tool I'd like to "modularize" is my benchtop mortiser, by building another cabinet that'll index just like the CMS does. I think that once your tapes are set on the fences, you should be able to calibrate to different blades, even dados, with an adjusting screw on the fence stop. Here's what my west wall looks like: http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/photos/ You'll have to click to the workshop to see it. Tom C & E wrote:

tom wrote:

Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the middle of a project? I need to do something with my TS and my old dresser workbench.
Oh, and check this out http://www.woodbutcher.net/smoking.htm I have this on my 'to do list'.
Thanks. Sometimes, yes, it can be. But it also forces me to keep it somewhat clean. I've got a secondary bench that I can set up in the auto bay, or take with me to a job. By the way, my miter tables also are hinged to fold up on the wall for really big vehicle maintenance. Haven't had to do that much, as you can tell by all the clutter. Tom
RayV wrote: > Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the

What a great shop, Tom. Pardon me if I hate ya for a few minutes! On your portable storage cart did you go with the middle wheels a little higher than the ends to allow for steering or did you just make them all the same TIA, C

Thank you. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. The center wheels are slightly higher, yes. Otherwise, I couldn't finagle it out of it's cubby. Tom C & E wrote:

C & E wrote:

Consider one or more strategically positioned T-slots for mounting hold-downs or mitre jigs. Sometime the RAS is handy to "right-size" small pieces if you can clamp them in place and keep your fingers far away ( I would never do this hand-held). Also, I never move my RAS off 90 degrees for reasons much discussed here. This requires me to use mitre jigs of various angles, which I clamp to the table using the t-slot. Very handy for mitres on long stock such as moulding which would be difficult on the table saw.
Tom M.
C & E wrote:

Think about allowing space for a truly long fence on the radial arm saw for ripping 4*8 sheets of stuff.

elbow, just from blade rotation stirring up the air. I am considering putting a piece of vacuum cleaner hose on the elbow and leading it out doors and letting the sawdust blow out on the lawn.

the front face. The cube is framed with 2*4, and the sides are 3/8" particle board fitting into dadoes in the frame. It's heavy and does not wobble. The particle board stiffens the thing and prevents side sway. The drawer hold the dado set, the molding head and knives, the drum sander, the surface planer and extra blades. My work bench height matches the RAS table height and serves as long table to support extra long stock. I have 8 feet on either side of the saw, letting me rip 4*8 sheet goods. I can open the shop door, pull the saw forward a couple of feet and rip even longer stuff. I wish I had convenient pocket to hold the blade change wrenches, and places to hold the various extra jigs, fences, and such.
David Starr