RAS and CMS combo table

I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes:

*10' length of table *removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades *R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s) *## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet) *Plum in dust collection to both saws *More light over table

OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all would be apreciated. TIA, C

Reply to
C & E

Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the middle of a project? I need to do something with my TS and my old dresser workbench.

Oh, and check this out

have this on my 'to do list'.

Reply to
RayV

What a great shop, Tom. Pardon me if I hate ya for a few minutes! On your portable storage cart did you go with the middle wheels a little higher than the ends to allow for steering or did you just make them all the same TIA, C

Reply to
C & E

Consider one or more strategically positioned T-slots for mounting hold-downs or mitre jigs. Sometime the RAS is handy to "right-size" small pieces if you can clamp them in place and keep your fingers far away ( I would never do this hand-held). Also, I never move my RAS off

90 degrees for reasons much discussed here. This requires me to use mitre jigs of various angles, which I clamp to the table using the t-slot. Very handy for mitres on long stock such as moulding which would be difficult on the table saw.

Tom M.

Reply to
tom_murphy

Thanks. Sometimes, yes, it can be. But it also forces me to keep it somewhat clean. I've got a secondary bench that I can set up in the auto bay, or take with me to a job. By the way, my miter tables also are hinged to fold up on the wall for really big vehicle maintenance. Haven't had to do that much, as you can tell by all the clutter. Tom

RayV wrote: > Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the

Reply to
tom

Think about allowing space for a truly long fence on the radial arm saw for ripping 4*8 sheets of stuff.

Check.

My radial arm saw blows a pretty good breeze out the dust collection elbow, just from blade rotation stirring up the air. I am considering putting a piece of vacuum cleaner hose on the elbow and leading it out doors and letting the sawdust blow out on the lawn.

Check.

Double Check.

My home made radial arm saw table is a 3' * 3' * 3' cube with drawers in the front face. The cube is framed with 2*4, and the sides are 3/8" particle board fitting into dadoes in the frame. It's heavy and does not wobble. The particle board stiffens the thing and prevents side sway. The drawer hold the dado set, the molding head and knives, the drum sander, the surface planer and extra blades. My work bench height matches the RAS table height and serves as long table to support extra long stock. I have 8 feet on either side of the saw, letting me rip 4*8 sheet goods. I can open the shop door, pull the saw forward a couple of feet and rip even longer stuff. I wish I had convenient pocket to hold the blade change wrenches, and places to hold the various extra jigs, fences, and such.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr