rare earth magnet sources

I have seen a few people reference Lee Valley as a source for rare earth magnets. I thought I'd suggest a couple other places I've come across.
1) ebay - If you want a lot of a particular size, I have found several people there selling large lots of magnets for pretty good prices.
2) http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com - I have ordered from here. Their prices seem a little lower than Lee Valley. My order came very quickly, and they have a very good selection.
3) http://www.wondermagnet.com - This place has some odd magnets. If you need something really powerful, this may be a good place to go. They deal a lot in surplus magnets and have a small selection, but they're in unusual sizes, some VERY large.
I have used Wondermagnet or Forcfield (Original name) for a long time and like their info, service and reliability. never had a problem with an order or with any of their magnets. I use them in door catchs, tool holders and entertaining grandkids with a "dart" game on the whiteboard.
BRuce
Jeremy Brown wrote:

--
---

BRuce

I harvest mine from old hard drives. Guess it helps if you have crashing all around you.
these work good for tool holders, you can even hang a "cat's paw" on them.
BRuce
acronym wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Try American Science and Surplus www.sciplus.com for magnets... they have lots of other weird/cool stuff, too. Good prices as well.
Jonathan
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:25:14 -0600, "Jonathan"

of) later perusal. Thanks. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:09:39 GMT, John Carlson
Ebay has lots of them. Small but mighty-
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com
House of tools in canada... John V

caused Jeremy Brown to write in

Old hard drives. I use them for all sorts of things, amusing the kids is just one.
--
This sig free text brought to you by the letters s, i & g

Local appliance repair shops, specifically microwave repairers will often have many of the magnatron magnets that they will give out. They are large, but VERY powerfull.
Alan
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:11:31 -0800, Jeremy Brown

I harvest them out of old microwaves at the tip. Two donut magnets per magnetron, and they are very very strong.
Be careful of the HV cap in there. They do have bleeder resistors across them, but you may be unlucky enough to find one where the resistor had failed. I never have, but do be cautious.
You have to do a bit of metal bashing to get the magnets of the magnetron, but it's only heavy sheet metal and toy-tabs holding it all together.
Barry Lennox
where do you find them? the dump here doesn't let you near the actual dump part, and Budgest Steel which takes things like microwaves stoves etc is rather testy about people raiding their stuff while they drop off, so you hafta grab and go while your dumping and they can't see you, something about if you hurt yourself, you might sue them(even though it would be your fault for climbing around the bins anyways.)
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Barry Lennox at snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote on 1/9/04 12:13 PM:

In my part of the world the dump gestapo are not too difficult, and will generally look the other way. I did raid a couple of washing machines to get a lot of spares, I asked about it first as it was going to be pretty obvious. For a $10 donation to their beer fund, I could take what I wanted. $10 was a lot cheaper than the new parts at $87, and I got; hopefully, a lifetime of other stuff as well.
You might like to try an advert in a local free paper "Microwaves wanted, dead or alive" You can strip the magnets, and lots of other good bits as well, then take the carcases to the dump.
Barry Lennox
The Electronic Goldmine http://www.goldmine-elec.com / has a couple list in their January sales flyer on the next to last page.