rare earth magnet sources

I have seen a few people reference Lee Valley as a source for rare earth magnets. I thought I'd suggest a couple other places I've come across.

1) ebay - If you want a lot of a particular size, I have found several people there selling large lots of magnets for pretty good prices.

2)

- I have ordered from here. Their prices seem a little lower than Lee Valley. My order came very quickly, and they have a very good selection.

3)
- This place has some odd magnets. If you need something really powerful, this may be a good place to go. They deal a lot in surplus magnets and have a small selection, but they're in unusual sizes, some VERY large.
Reply to
Jeremy Brown

I have used Wondermagnet or Forcfield (Original name) for a long time and like their info, service and reliability. never had a problem with an order or with any of their magnets. I use them in door catchs, tool holders and entertaining grandkids with a "dart" game on the whiteboard.

BRuce

Jeremy Brown wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

I harvest mine from old hard drives. Guess it helps if you have crashing all around you.

Reply to
acronym

House of tools in canada... John V

Reply to
JohnV

The voices in the head of Jeremy Brown caused Jeremy Brown to write in news:bthsps$59j$ snipped-for-privacy@woodrow.ucdavis.edu:

I use them for all sorts of things, amusing the kids is just one.

Reply to
Goat Tosser

Local appliance repair shops, specifically microwave repairers will often have many of the magnatron magnets that they will give out. They are large, but VERY powerfull.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

these work good for tool holders, you can even hang a "cat's paw" on them.

BRuce

acr> I harvest mine from old hard drives.

Reply to
BRuce

Try American Science and Surplus

for magnets... they have lots of other weird/cool stuff, too. Good prices as well.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I harvest them out of old microwaves at the tip. Two donut magnets per magnetron, and they are very very strong.

Be careful of the HV cap in there. They do have bleeder resistors across them, but you may be unlucky enough to find one where the resistor had failed. I never have, but do be cautious.

You have to do a bit of metal bashing to get the magnets of the magnetron, but it's only heavy sheet metal and toy-tabs holding it all together.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

What a bunch of cool stuff. I've boolmarked it for (possibly hours of) later perusal. Thanks.

John Carlson

Ebay has lots of them. Small but mighty-

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

where do you find them? the dump here doesn't let you near the actual dump part, and Budgest Steel which takes things like microwaves stoves etc is rather testy about people raiding their stuff while they drop off, so you hafta grab and go while your dumping and they can't see you, something about if you hurt yourself, you might sue them(even though it would be your fault for climbing around the bins anyways.)

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Barry Lennox at snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote on 1/9/04 12:13 PM:

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

The Electronic Goldmine

a couple list in their January sales flyer on the next to last page.

Reply to
John Keeney

In my part of the world the dump gestapo are not too difficult, and will generally look the other way. I did raid a couple of washing machines to get a lot of spares, I asked about it first as it was going to be pretty obvious. For a $10 donation to their beer fund, I could take what I wanted. $10 was a lot cheaper than the new parts at $87, and I got; hopefully, a lifetime of other stuff as well.

You might like to try an advert in a local free paper "Microwaves wanted, dead or alive" You can strip the magnets, and lots of other good bits as well, then take the carcases to the dump.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox