rant: removing blade from new saw

Page 2 of 2

put
I'm a Blad-Loc user too, but am still wondering if they improved on the "jam-a-hunk-o-wood" approach enough to warrant the 12 bux I spent. These days, it's whatever I find first (the Blade-Loc or a hunk-o-wood) that gets used.
Bummer about Craftsman welding the nut on. But probably just one of those minor bumps in the road.

Hmm....I just use a very heavy cloth over the blade and grab it. Works really well and when tightening lets you get a good feel for it. Plus really easy to rotate the blade. And no chance of damage.
Of course in the situation of the original post this would not have worked.
Paul Kierstead wrote:

LMAO! Yeah, that's the understatement of the year, unless maybe I used heavy gauge chain mail for the cloth. :)
mttt wrote:

I'm hoping it won't re-weld itself. Those were some mighty big foot-pounds on that thing.
To my amazement and satisfaction, I checked the heel after all that (see all my posts about fighting with that adjustment) and it was still as close to dead on perfect as anyone but the most ridiculously anal could want. That gives me hope that it will remain aligned for a long time.
Silvan wrote: [snip]

OK. Now for next time: 1) You apparently are missing the essential tool to attack this problem. To whit, the proverbial bigger hammer. This device is also useful in the solution of a host of problems, big and small.
2) Bad words are essential. Now four letter words are OK but for a problem like this you need to start with a 12 letter special and move on from there.     :-) and mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

I traded my bigger hammer for a computer. I didn't think I'd need a 16-pound sledge for much.

There were young children across the street. They opened a gymastics school directly across the way from my shop. Whee.
(Guess what my kids want to do?)
Silvan wrote:

Lessee. Seems like you can remove the gym school and solve grunt problems utilizing item 2) loudly.     j4
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah, that's it. Get a couple cans of Meisterbrau, my cheap rat-tail tang Claymore, a pair of ratty underwear, and go out in the yard and scream obscenities at them. Hell yeah, this is America after all, and it's my property, dammit!
Worthy rant indeed!

My PC 557 was like that. I thought I'd *never* get that darn blade off! I figure they used some kind of power driver to put it on, and somebody either upped the air pressure, or the lawyers told 'em they had to put it on for all time...
Anything that's stuck like this will yield to Goof-Off. It's STRONG stuff. I've found nothing better for penetrating and removing gunk.

Joe Helmick wrote:

So noted, but of course I didn't realize what the problem was until after I got the nut off, so it's kind of a chicken and egg thing.