Random Orbital Sanders - What to buy???

Page 2 of 2

Well, I am a Festool convert. I have had PC for about 20 years and still have the PC right angle ROS. Way too much sander and tough to control for small projects. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago with an expensive Festool Rotex 5" sander and it is great. I wish I had bought it years ago. Still, probably too much sander for small projects. While purchasing the sander the Festool rep was also demonstrated the smaller 5" ROS. He turned it on and held it stationary and pushed it all along the top of the board using a single finger centered on the top of the sander with a very light touch. Still not cheap but a bit more affordable.
Many ROS sanders will wander and must be held with your hand. The Festool stays put and moves easily and controllably with the "lightest touch".
If you want sanding to be fun you should at the very least get a hands on demonstration of the Festool sanders.

Also, consider the cost of sanding disk. And whether you want 5-hole or 8-hole.
-Zz