Random Orbital Sander with PSA Paper

Page 1 of 2
I want to buy a ROS, and am torn between the velcro or PSA model. Being a cheap sob, is it possible to buy a PSA sander, and then use one of these glue sticks here in my desk drawer to attach paper that I cut myself from a sheet?
Sorry if this is a silly question. Just want to explore all angles.
spray adhesive will work better than a glue stick. buy stuff that will release and not the permanant set.
imho that velcro stuff is for suckers.
randy

My opinion of those that use PSA. Even?

let me get this straight. you only posted because of some primal need to get even? if so, sure. i guess we're even.... ?
but psa is still much cheaper than velcro stuff.
randy

An individual sheet may be, but what about changing grits before the sheet's worn out? I use PSA, and to be honest, I've discarded good sheets simply because it's time for a grit change.
Hook and loop seems to have an advantage there.

if you really want the velcro, im sure you could come up with a way to make some velcro 'pads' that you use releasable spray adhesive on in combination with the psa......
couldnt ya?
randy

Actually what I did was buy a velcro pad for my PC sander. The real purpose is to use buffing pads from Homestead Finishing, not hook 'n loop sandpaper. But since I had the new pad, I got some sandpaper too.
Now I can switch as I choose. PSA most often, but depending on the task at hand, switch to hook 'n loop.
Jeff recently posted the Abralon part number for the H&L pad for PC ROSs.
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:19:05 -0500, Lazarus Long

Thanks. Can I get spray adhesive at my "local home center"?

Yepper's 3M "77" Spray Adhesive is at Lowes

I doubt it'll work. the grab of the glue is critical. too little and the dick won't stay on, too much and you'll be pulling chunks out of the pad. not to mention that hardware store sheets are the wrong grade of paper.
really, find a good supplier of industrial psa disks. they outlast normal sandpaper by a very large margin. buy bulk. one box will probably last a hobbyist woodworker years.

Would you also say that PSA is preferable over H&L?
snip

1. Only if you use the same grit one after the other. 2. Only if you want to save money.
H & L is great for the hobbyist that changes grits before the sand paper is worn out. He can reapply the paper and reuse it. For the slightly more serious user, one that may use 2 or more of the same grit before changing to a finer grit, PSA is the way to go. It normally is 1/2 the price of H&L.

is
Well, like a number of us woodworkers, I don't do this stuff for a living and I might get the sander out every month or so. For me, H&L is just easier to deal with than PSA. If I thought I was gonna do a whole bunch, I'd probably look at PSA because just looking at the Rockler site, PSA and H&L packages are the same price, but there are twice as many PSA sheets in a box.
On a related topic...I have a Dewalt DW421 H&L ROS. If I ever did want to go with PSA, is there a replacement pad or perhaps an adapter of some kind?
todd
Snip

Easier to deal with? Just stick it on and pull it off. If you leave PSA on the sander it can be a little fussy to take off. To combat that, warm the pad up by simply sanding a piece of wood and the sheet will come of easily.
If I thought I was gonna do a whole bunch,

So, the PSA is not twice the price as you get twice as many sheets for the same price... Right?

kind?
IIRC many of the sand paper manufacturers offer pads for both type papers and DeWalt would probably offer the PSA pad also.

living
on
easily.
You're making my point. It's the leaving the stuff on the sander that I'm referring to. I don't have to sand a piece of wood to get it off. Is it a big deal? No. Is it slightly easier to deal with? A little. Am I going to start a religious war over it? No.

and
in
the
I'm not sure I even know what you're saying, so I'll try to explain this again. The boxes of PSA and H&L are the same price. There are twice as many PSA sheets in a box. That means (here's where 4 semesters of college calculus come in handy) the PSA sheets are half the price as H&L. Now I'm making your point.

Just yankin your chain Todd. :~)

I didn't see it as that. You have valid points. I hadn't considered the potential problem PSA if the pad is dusty, as Lew pointed out. By the way, do you think the OP, Buck Turgidson related to Turd Ferguson?
Todd
I meant I was yankin you chain on the cost issue that you has mentioned. Both being the same price but twice as many in the box on the PSA's.
BUT,, The PSA's to not restick well at all... I have not tried more than once or twice. Seems that with dust or no dust, they adhesive works once and that is it. Years ago when I wholesaled 3M products I had my choice of anything I wanted from 3M at no cost to me. Even cheaper the "rolls" of disks that come in quantities of 100 and 250 disks. Those however don't have as long of a shelf life as do the papers with individual protective backings. I am sure dust may cause problems but dust or no dust, the adhesive does not want to work 2 times. I have never had a stick problem in the last 15 years unless I tried to reapply the PSA paper a second time.

todd wrote:

In effect, that is what Leon said - dumb ass.