Raised panel/rail & stile bit set recommendation wanted.

I am thinking of purchasing a set and am undecided whether to buy a set that includes a panel bit with undercutting or one without. What do folks like the best? I have had pretty good luck with Katana bits and am going to stay with them. Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
Joe

I use Whiteside, made in USA , they have the highest Vickor rating of all router bits studied., which means they stay sharp longer. I don't care for the back cutters much, when routing arch top door panels ,you either have to remove excessive material or swop out for a larger bearing. When using a reg panel raiser, simply raise bit a little at a time till you get to the desired depth.

Ken

The back cutter will limit your use of the bit. You do not always want to back cut a raised panel. Suppose you want to use the raised panel bit for a table top for example.

Reply to
Leon

If you purchase quality raised panel cutter , you should be able to remove the back cutter. You would either have to install a bearing, or use your fence for straight cuts.

Reply to
Ken

You can always cut a small rabbet in the door panel back to make it fit the groove. No back cutter required.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Or, you can also, for non-standard operation as somebody else complained, use the back cutter separately from the paired set.

I personally like the touch the back cutter leaves better than the square rabbet but that's preference, nothing more...

--

Reply to
dpb