Raised Panel Question

I need to make some raised panels for some shutters. The bevel will be at

15 degrees. When I cut the grooves in the rails and stiles to hold the panels, should I bevel one side of the cut at 15 degrees to match the panel? I'd appreciate knowing if this is the standard practice.
Reply to
news.eternal-september.org

A beveled panel with no flat tail is a pretty crude panel compared to most modern panel shapes that use shaped cutters. However, it is a good old standard to make beveled panels on the table saw with just such a bevel and no flat. I have made such panels many time and I never beveled the slot. I have never heard of it being done either but it would'nt hurt too much except maybe they would be very sloppy when the panel shrinks a bit in winter.

Just be careful in the sizing to allow for some expansion and use some space balls or something like that.

You could also make a flat on the TS as well, which I have also done.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Or set up an angled fence across the blade and cut coves into the panel edges, which will create flat tails.

Reply to
Father Haskell

That is always fun but it makes my nads crawl up a bit everytime I do it and that is my primary indicator that something is dangerous, so I don't do it any more unless there is no other option and a real need for the shape.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I did that once and it worked well. I have a hard time turning my mind 90 degrees and not making a logical mistake, though.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
news.eternal-september.org