Raised panel doors: router vs shaper or by hand?

I need to make about 6 raised panel doors for a set of cabinets my wife made. I am just a hobbyist but I have a few choices.
1. Order them to my specs from an outside company. 2. Use a router. I think I need a faster router though, mine is 1/4" and fairly slow (craftsman special), as well as a router table. 3. Purchase a shaper. I think this would be safest, but expensive and I wouldn't use it much. 4. Make them by hand. Takes longer and would not be very oranate ( I was thinking of raised arch design).
Any advice?
Snoopy.
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

You can make them on a table saw.
JP

Not with an arch though.
To elaborate, to make a concave edge to the panel on a TS you clamp a straight edge at an angle to and passing over the blade and then make a series of passes starting with the blade below the table. By moving the straight edge forward/back and changing the angle you can get different profiles. You don't want to do this with your best blade as it will wear the blade on one side.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

You're right. I overlooked that part.
JP
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

table, or simple ones can be made on the TS.
Dave
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

number 1. You can't do arches on a TS. If you really want to build them yourself, you could probably do it with a coping saw, and some combo of planes and chisels plus scrapers and sandpaper. If you want to spend some money, the price difference between a good router/router table and a shaper is probably a push.     truth is stranger than beauty,     jo4hn
Thanks for the help. I think I'll abandon the arches.
I found a website that talks about doing them by hand ( http://www.shavings.net/RAISED_PANELS.HTM ), but I thought the cross grain might be a problem. Any suggestion for taking on the crossgrain, other than really sharp tools :-)?
A perfectly serviceable router table can be built for less than $25.00. That's if all material is bought new (less router of course). I haven't seen to many shapers in that price range.

CW wrote:

in a HF router and voila. If that will suffice for your project, go for it.
Otherwise, Grizzly has a small shaper for $100 and a more usable 3/4 horse for $265. YMMV.     mahalo,     jo4hn

It will suffice for any project.