Raised panel bit set for router

I see that some sets have a reversible bit for doing the styles and rails and others sets have individual bits. What are the pros and cons and which are easier /faster to set up? Thanks

Reply to
habbi

Individual bits are easy to set up. first you cut the copes and then pull the bit out and replace it with the other bit. Adjusting the height is simply a matter of placing the coped piece up to the second bit and matching the tongue to the groove. That way the rails and stiles will be flush with one another. Beats undoing the cutter. I HATE swapping bearings on my raised panel bits but there's no way I'm gonna use a 3-1/2" cutter in one pass. I can't use the fence to reduce depth of cut on a cathedral panel!

Dave

habbi wrote:

Reply to
David

The single bit type is cheaper and more trouble. The 2 piece set is more expensive and less complicated to use.

Reply to
Leon

Try cutting shallower and raising the bit to the finished height.

Reply to
Leon

Not to mention that the 2-piece set survives sharpening much better. . . . . . . . . . . I SAID not to MENTION IT!!!

This weather has put me in a goofy mood.

Reply to
Robatoy

No can do with a back cutter on the bit.

Reply to
Jody

Uh, this is a cope/cove, rail/stile bit. Think about what you said and how that procedure might impact the tongue and groove profile.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

"Leon" wrote in news:_Pi5e.7782$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

The two piece set can be set up in two simple router table/fence combinations, and left that way, until all of the pieces have been completed. With sufficiently powerful routers at under $150, it's an attractive option. Recommended in Udo Schmidt's kitchen cabinet book, I used it for a prototype cabinet I built last fall. It works well.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Some part of "raised panel bit" you quoted, but didn't catch?

Reply to
George

Only the part about "raised panel bit." I was following the original thread where the question was

"I see that some sets have a reversible bit for doing the styles and railsand others sets have individual bits. What are the pros and cons and which are easier /faster to set up? Thanks"

I missed David's transition into the raise panel bit in his post. My bad.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Oh Yeah..... I knew there was a reason that I don't buy bits with back cutters. Take the back cutter off until the desired depth is reached.

Reply to
Leon

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:XSu5e.16492$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

And some sets do all three. This area takes either a lot of experience, or a lot of research, in order to get the right sets and setup.

It certainly seems easier to show than tell.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I like the versatility of the shaper on both cope/mold and panel raisers. Makes me especially happy I have a shaper every time I do the setup for raising panels, though I once went to another school one afternoon and saw a panel-raising bit installed cutter _down_ on the machine. No, it wasn't a kid who had set it up that way.

Reply to
George

Precut the angle on the table saw, finish in one pass with a two piece cutter.

Dave

Teamcasa

Could the statement be somewhat bassackwards? Maybe should read:

1) Set the bit to the desired height. 2) Set the fence so none of the bit sticks out of it 3) Gradually expose a portion of the bit and make a pass 4) Repeat step 3 until the guide bearing is flush with the face of the = fence.

Precutting on the TS cuts out a lot of the repetitiveness.

--=20

PDQ

| >> Try cutting shallower and raising the bit to the finished height. | >>

| > No can do with a back cutter on the bit. |=20 | Precut the angle on the table saw, finish in one pass with a two piece =

PDQ

That presupposes that one is not cutting a cathedral or other non-straight rail or panel, doesn't it??

Dave

PDQ wrote:

Reply to
David

IMHO, you're always better off going for the separate bits.. Mr. Murphy will remind you that you forgot to route one piece, but not until you've reversed the bit, adjusted the router and done about 1/2 of the next cut..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I have separate bits too. Two bits also mean less sharpening to be done when needed.

Reply to
Upscale