Rain on power tools

Page 2 of 2

On 5 Aug 2005 14:27:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@uc.edu wrote:

Nothing. What do you think construction workers do when it starts raining? You may or may not get a little rust on consumable parts like blades or drill bits, but the tools you listed are designed and intended for use outdoors. Being outside means rain sometimes, and most tools are just fine after a little moisture. If they start to get really rusty, polish them up a bit, and wipe some oil on them, or spray some WD-40. Don't get to worked up about it- if you've got anything that could be described as a decent tool, it'll be fine. Those tools are for use- not for looking at!
I would put the saw and drill in the oven with the door open and set to the "Keep Warm" setting for a couple of hours before applying power. The air nailer should be treated with a rust preventative such as WD-40 and lubricated internally with the recommended oil. If you have another compressor I'd try to gently blow out any water that got into the motor of the pancake compressor. If that is not possible I'd use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture. Don't cook the motor to death, just warm to the touch for an hour of so.
Don Dando

Put them on a heat register in your house, let the heat blow on them for about a week. They'll work as good as new.
Bob

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:19:53 -0500, "bob"

Better yet just put them in the auto in the sun with the windows closed, when the windows are not steamy they are done.
And yes a tongue might be slightly askew here.
Mark

A little water won't hurt these tools. My stuff gets wet on jobs all the time. Have a 20 year old Air-O-Smith compressor that has been wet too many times to count and it still works fine. Never use WD40 on lubricated parts. It will wash the lubricant off then dry out leaving nothing to keep the part lubricated. Rabbit
Lon Marshall < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net>

hmm... interesting brand... does it sing "dream on" a lot? *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing