Railroad Tie Oak Lumber

I am wondering whether it is worth my trouble using Red Oak railroad's tie, rip them to 4/4 or more keep then for a year or two and use them.
Our lumberyard sell Red Oak 4/4 FIF for 2.15/bf. These are the same Red oak railroad tie lumber rips to 4/4. Per length of 8 ft railroad tie is $16, 10 ft is $19.
email me and let me know where you are located, I might be able to get you a better price.