rail & stile width

Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors? Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles, but now I'm rethinking that. Fire away! TIA
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:23:28 GMT, lucky4fingers

I read a piece a while ago where the guy writing said that 2" flats (2 3/8" per rail & stile uncut) was about the correct dimension for a balanced look. Unless your cutting curved top or bottom rails. This is what I've been going with. An exception would be door size per unit. A real small piece would have a narrower flat surface and an over size panel would be wider.
Just my 2 cents. Basically, it's what looks good to you and your end user.
Pete

The size should be appropriate to the use. I have done 1" and 4". But they have always been the same.
Rails and stiles are usually cut 2" plus the depth of the panel groove wide. This usually makes them either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8" wide - depending on whose router bits you use. The reason for making them that width is that it makes all of the calculations for door size easier - including the panel. If you need an inset door for a 16 x 24" opening and your cutter makes a 3/8 inch deep groove, the panel will be 16 - 4 = 12 wide by 24 - 4 = 20 long. And all of the sticks will be cut 2-3/8" wide. For offset doors, just add twice the offset dimension to the panel width and length. Jim Seelye

Seems like a bizarre thing to let drive a design decision. If 2" looks right on a 12x18 door, so you really think it would look right on an 18x48" door?

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. I much prefer all of my rails and stiles to be in the ballpark of 2" wide. I will very seldom make them much wider and I almost never go any narrower. If the size of the door requires something different, I will usually change the door design. The only place that I don't make the overall width about 2" is for cathedral style doors - and even there, I'll make the narrowest portion 2" wide. Jim Seelye

Most of the examples I have seen have the same width rails and stiles, or possibly slightly larger bottom rails.

2 1/2" stiles and rails. Just an old convention around here, but there is no law.