rail and stile bits

I hoping I'm not going over too much old ground here...(I've checked the archives). I need a rail and stile bit set. I prefer to buy Whiteside bits, but their rail and stile set seems designed for 7/8 inch thick stock, and I want to use 3/4 inch stock. I spoke with a customer service rep at Whiteside, and she seemed to agree that using the bits on 3/4 inch stock would mean losing some of the profile. My second choice would be a Freud set. Have users been happy with their Freud rail and stile sets? I know FWW #107 had a comparison of rail and stile sets, but I don't have that issue anymore and it's not available from Taunton. Thanks in advance, Eric to e-mail, remove 'nojunk' from e-mail address
I like the CMT R&S bits. Also, their panel cutter has a backcutter.
Eric G. wrote:

The Freud are outstanding...
The Whiteside bits will work and I doubt you will lose that much profile. The Freud will work on stock that thick and again, you don't lose any profile depending on your setup.
I don't recall ever seeing a 7/8" thick door. They are referring to the maximum thickness of the stock you "can use" not what you "must use".
Eric G. wrote:

On 05 Dec 2003 19:06:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Eric G.) wrote:

Thrilled!
I've made many doors with a Freud set, out of Ash, Oak, Birch, and MDF.
Barry
"Eric G." wrote:

You can use a "back cutter" router bit on the 3/4" stock. See:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&catidx&objectgroup_id96&offerings_idT24
"Eric G." wrote ...

I have a set of Freud rails and stile bits and I found them to work well. Cope and stick isn't my favorite way to make doors but they have seen some use and I was very happy with the results. I generally only buy Freud bits because I have very good luck with them. I can get them easily and have no need to look at other brands.
--
Cheers,
Howard

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:39:24 +0000 (UTC), "Frank McVey"

I always make setup blocks out of HDPE to use for future setups for rail, stile, and raised panel bits.
Barry