Radial arm saw vs. table saw. Tools for cabinetry?

I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is

25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200 table saw.

Also, what tools are recommended from someone starting out. I used to do alot of woodworking years ago in school, but we had all the high power/industrial tools (loved the $80,000 planner they had). Now, don't have any tools except for miter, hand saw, and drill. I am wanting to start making furniture, with first being entertainment center.

Any recommendations or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

- Clayton

Reply to
Dooler

I would keep the RA saw untill you can loosen up your budget a bit, $500+. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Keep the RA for now. You don't want a $200 table saw. Really, you don't.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Keep the RAS and get a TS also.

Reply to
Bob

Keep the RA. Save up for a good Table saw. Alternative ...Some schools offer night courses, and you can use $80,000 equipment ..[that one I'd like to see], their wood [you pay for it later] and their advice ...it has been some time you say. My daughter still has the walnut coffe table my wife made at a night course while I was studying to finish university.

Reply to
Guess who

Well, perhaps he doesn't want a NEW $200 table saw. I bought an older Craftsman flex drive saw for $125 and put about $300 more into refurbishment and upgrades including a new rip fence and a carbide tipped blade. What I have now is something far better than the old girl ever was...even when brand new.

If you have the time and inclination to refurbish and modernize an old tablesaw, you can find one for far less than $200 but be prepared to invest at least that amount more for necessary upgrades. You'll end up with something that will rival the top of the line contractor saws from the best known manufacturerss for about half the money.

One note of caution: if you decide to go that route, get one with cast iron extension tables. Don't even look at saws with stamped steel extensions.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Edwin Pawlowski responds:

Really, Ed's right. Work with the RAS for now. A 25 year old RAS in good shape is better than a new $200 table saw.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

Keep the RAS and read the following book to learn how to use your RAS:

Rumpty

refurbishment

I guess someone has to state the obvious. while we admire they value you got for $425 and some hours of work, its still $225 over his budget, old or new.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I have a 29 year old Craftmans RA that I am using. I used it to build my own kitchen cabinets, without any problems. Ripped all of the shelving and face frames, including oak trim for all of the shelves.

There are time that I would like to have a TS but don't want to give the space in my garage. Have a drill press, band saw, and jointer and have made it without a TS. But I only work as a hobby.

If I were to try and make more of woodworking than a hobby that I would like to have one.

Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

Looks like a good book, might just buy it. Thanks.

Reply to
Dooler

Wanted to thank everyone for great replys. Looks like the recommendation is to keep the RAS. In a way, I prefer the RAS (once I learn how to use it to it's full potential, other than cutting 2x4's) as it was my fathers and he has had it for all my life. My father was one who would teach me how to use tools and let me at it. Still remember working on making a box when I was 8 yrs old using the RAS...unsupervised.

I am still looking at what tools I need (or would be very helpful) to start making furniture. Jointer or Planer might be something else I might want to get. But as Al Holstein put it, woodworking is going to be a hobby. I want to get the best quaity for the price, but don't want to spend the money for high end, all the features, tools as it IS A HOBBY.

I have inherited alot of my father's tools. Unfotunately, they were never keep in top condition (RAS for instance was coated with grime and years of not being used... but still great condition). Many hand tools though have seen better days...rust.

My initial inclination for $200 for a table saw was I had seen them cheaper (Sears) and figured this would be a good mid range. Guess not.

I looked at the book that Rumpty recommended and I might go that route as it look like a very detailed book.

- Clayton

Reply to
Dooler

Dooler wrote in news:9l4vs0hubcjsbeoplj5goik7ivk3jeld83 @4ax.com:

Mid range for a table saw is up about $1000 from there. Your RAS will do just fine for some time. You may never decide that you need to spend the bigger money.

Rumpty knows RAS as well as anyone who hangs out here, and far better than most. It's not the tool I'd recommend starting with, if it meant digging into the wallet, but you have one, it was your Dad's, and that's a far different story.

Go slowly on the new tool purchases, until you sort out what you already have. Cleaning up Dad's old tools is a healthy endeavor in any case.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

My TS broke down a few years ago and I had to do some ripping with the RAS to finish off a project. Ripping with the RAS is one of the most intimating power tool operations I ever experienced. Funny I could cut trees with my chain saw all day long and think nothing of it but ripping even one sheet of wood on the RAS scares the bee gees out of me.

Reply to
Frank

Since noone else has mentioned it, let me suggest that you go to

to see if your model qualifies for the free blade guard retrofit kit (new table top included).

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

don't be afraid of a little rust. do a google search for electrolysis rust removal. lots of tool refurb howto's out there on the web.

old tools (especially hand tools) are often better than what you can get today for less than large amounts of cash.

Reply to
bridger

Potential: Repeat cuts, compound cuts, panel doors, .....tons more.

Lack of potential: I saw my neighbour using his to rip long pieces, with one arm in front of the saw, and one that had to slip behind to finish the cut. I gave him a table saw I had lying around [I had three more, one of which went to my son-in-law] , plus an old carbon tipped blade, plus a 3/4 HP motor from a nearby yard sale for $14. He's now making money, and still has both hands, and hasn't looked back.

Reply to
Guess who

< ... but ripping even one sheet of

I've heard and read this a lot...why?

For years while saving for the PM 66 I used the RAS for everything and, in fact, before the jointer had it set up to use the shaping head for that as well. I've ripped a of material w/ nary a problem. All it takes (like a TS) is a long table to support the work, adjusting the hold down properly and using a push stick for narrow stock. I've never felt it was any more "scary" than the TS.

Now that I have the TS, jointer, spindle shaper, et al., the RAS is relegated mostly to cutoff work, but I would still miss it if it were gone entirely.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, upper mid-range for the casual basement/garage shop. Pretty good contractor saws are available for less than that. FWW had a review not too many issues ago...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
nospambob