Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

Page 3 of 6

No, it's you who defends the ludicrous idea that blades cannot be interchanged between saw types without "injuring" the iron.
I'm sure you are right.

I know I am. Please fix your newsreader.

I know I am. Please fix your newsreader.
fix what?
Leon wrote:

Not properly quoting the post you are responding to, it isn't offset by '>' or another generally accepted character.
Note, just pointing it out, in my opinion your knowledge of the subject (woodworking) offsets this deficiency. ;-)
--
Froz...

I was just poking the bee's nest again. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Poke away then. ;-)
--
Froz...

LOL. Try as you may, I doubt you will ever convince him his logic is flawed.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

What's flawed about the logic of expecting engineers to design tools so that they don't destroy themselves in normal use?
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:57:36 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Let me try to explain the major flaw in your logic. You said in an earlier post "However if it cannot withstand without damage any force that the motor can produce then it is a poorly designed piece of crap."
With that mindset automotive engineers had to have known that there would be an occasional accident with their products. Of course they knew this. Then, by your logic they should have designed the cars, should an accident occur, to need no repairs, right? Therefore, if what you said had even the slightest bit of credibility you should be able to explain the existence of automotive body shops.
Please enlighten all of us as to why there are automotive body shops or any other repair facility for anything. According to you, nothing should break.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Find me a car that breaks the driveshaft when you set the brakes and floor the accelerator.

Nope, not an analogous situation.
But I'll bet you're a real good lawyer because it's the sort of argument that one would come up with to get his bumbling incompetent of a client off the hook because his POS tool self-destructs.

Suggest another example. 07 Toyota 4WD Tundras are/were having drive shaft problems. You simply had to drive as designed to have the drive shaft break.
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:43:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"

There is no end to your narrow-mindedness.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Expecting a reasonable level of competence from engineers is not "narrow mindedness" except in your little liability-lawyer world.
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:43:11 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

After graduating from Universal Technical Institute in 1972, I got a job at the local Chebby dealership. Most of my time was supposed to be spent doing those fabulous lube and oil changes you hear about. Instead, I spend most of that (short) year doing motor mount campaigns. It seems that if one did what you suggest, the motor mount would shear off and floor the accelerator, much like the dangerous new Toyotas with their ~attack~ floor mats. the Chebby fix was a new pair of motor mounts and a pair of cables between the frame and engine block. The Toyota interim fix is to remove the ~attack~ floor mat.
Then there were the deadly Ford Pintos, which would explode upon simple impact of a two ton truck barreling along at 65mph and rear ending them squarely. The fix (which I also installed at a dealership, but Ford this time) was a 1/8" nylon plate which went under the gas tank straps to allow the differential bolts to slide past (instead of puncturing) the tank during a catastrophic collision.
And there were the Chebby pickups whose gas tanks would explode into flame if you t-boned 'em at freeway speeds (and they had a special explosive package installed by the filming crew.)
Those damned engineers, anyway... ;)
P.S: This is a fun thread!
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
Leon wrote:

In what post did I make this statement? Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

You said,,
Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by idiots or the uninformed",
I said that I thought that we were talking about someone using the wrong blade on a tool, which would possibly cause undue stress.
Leon wrote:

The message from which I cut and pasted the word "idiot" is http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/d35ac8b5fd7cbb30
Now, would you care to apologize for putting words in my mouth?

No I dont think so. I was not trying to fault you. Were you not the one that mentioned idiot?
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:06:01 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

Ah, but you forget that the marketing and bean counter types are also involved. Either one easily negates any sane and/or valid engineering input. <sigh>
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

That comment reminds me of the short little story my college physics professor told us.
The once was a wagon with no weakest points. One day it disintegrated.
I have never ever ever ever seen any thing build close to that wagon.