radial arm saw table as a table saw outfeed table

Has any one out there mounted their RAS low enough to take up the outfeed end of a table saw?

In other words, I have a table saw in the middle of my shop (which is a bit cramped) and I would like to put my RAS on the TS outfeed side wall. So, if I were to rip a long board, the RAS along the wall would have to be low enough to allow the end of the TS-ripped board to ride onto it - otherwise, the ripped board would collide with the RAS.

RAS tables are usually higher than table saws, which is the reason I'm asking...Has anyone done this already? Any thoughts?

- Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg

Having the RAS up near the eyes is very helpful. Personally, I prefer long rips on the RAS. I have about eight feet of fence, which gives really solid support for the rip. Obviously you can do what you say, just think about how you use the RAS. It's much better for dadoes, long rips, and miters on large stock. Having a big workpiece solid on the table is a real blessing!

Now we'll be flamed for saying something nice about the RAS, but 30 years of use have pretty well set me in my ways, even with all the adjustment hassles!

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

My only concern about installing the RAS this low is how good is your back? I prefer my RAS's up high.

Reply to
Rumpty

The only problem I see is in getting the RAS out of alignment. These days I won't even set something heavy on the table let alone any bumps and thumps from other uses. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Well, I dunno. My Table Saw surface is at 36.5 inches. So given that, I would have to mount the radial saw so that the TABLE topped off at

36 1/4, to be safe.

Just trying to fit as much in my shop as possible, without restricting the amount of work space.

My back is OK at this point. ;-)

- Todd

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg

I didn't set mine up as an outfeed but I did set it at the same height as its to the left of my table saw. I can use it as a left extension for sheet goods if I need to. My shaper is also at the same height as the ts and ras so I can use the ras table for the shaper too.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Now do you find your RAS is too low? Or does it work out ok?

I would also like to build benches on either side of the RAS for crosscutting of long stock. I would like to submerge my router into one of these benches, and at times treat the whole expanse as one big router table. Kind of in the same spirit of your using the RAS as support for your shaper...

Cool...

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg