Radial Arm Saw Quit!

I had been cutting through some 1x6 hickory with when the blade grabbed into the wood and stopped. Now when I turn it on the saw just makes a buzzing sound and doesn't move,even if I try spinning the blade by hand first.Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks.

Reply to
1ko

What brand and model of saw?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Is there a reset button on the motor?

Reply to
Richard D. Healy

Yeah. It's _broken_.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms you describe. 1) blown capacitor(s). 2) bad/stuck 'centrifugal switch'. 3) bad (open) 'start winding'. 4) if 'three-phase' powered, one of the phases is 'open'. 5) "something else".

my vote is for "(F) One or more of the above"

Time for a it to visit a motor repair shop.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Is it belt drive? check for bound up belt...

I was sure that my RAS (old powerkraft) was direct drive, but found that it has a belt when it started slipping...

Reply to
mac davis

Except for the "1x6 hickory," I had the very same symptoms with my 40 year old Sawsmith RAS recently--a couple jams (was ripping and somehow the arm was set off of 90 degrees), motor free to turn but only hummed, and a spin didn't help.

Turned out to be pitted contacts in the relay that controls the capacitor-start windings.

Being so old the relay contacts were easily accessed and a small file made 'em good for another 40 years--and for which I am certainly not!

I hope your problem is as minor!

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells