Radi plane sharpening

I have two of the wooden bodied radi-plane that need sharpening. I'm not sure how to do this -- I would have to grind a LOT off the flat surface to get an effective edge, and I don't have a stone with the right radius to hone the curved edge. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Get a stone with the right radius.

If you don't have one, make a wooden block the right diameter (guess what, you have just the plane to do it), then wrap silicon carbide abrasive paper (the black grit) around it. A sawcut down the back and a popsicle stick as a wedge make it easier to hold.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It happens I just came in from my shop where I sharpened my radi-plane for the first time. I Scary-Sharpened the blades with 240, 400, 600,

1000, 1500 and 2000 grit silicon wet/dry paper. These are short blades, a dozen one inch strokes on each grit per side are all you need. I used the relatively dull blades to round the appropriate curve on a piece of scrap, and then just held the paper wrapped over the edge. I polished the flat side on my usual piece of 1/4" glass. Remember, both surfaces need to be polished for a sharp cutting edge. In the future, I'll probably sharpen only the curved surface, as reducing the flat surface may affect the fit of the blade in the body.

"Matthew" wrote:

Reply to
Larry Kraus

replying to Matthew, John Hinsley wrote: ChainSaw chain sharpening stone bit in a Dremel tool

Reply to
John Hinsley