Rabbet Size for Back

If I remove spam from your address will you get the sketchup file?

Reply to
Leon

John Shear

And if I may ask, what make/model of dual purpose brad nailer might that be?

Reply to
Dave

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:13:01 -0500, John Shear

Not overkill. I don't use washer head screws, but I do use regular oval head screws. The advantage being is the easy removal of said screws and the back whenever necessary.

Reply to
Dave

This particular one is a Delta DBS-125. I use it mostly for staples because I have an 18ga Bostich that I keep loaded with brads, but it shoots brads equally as well

Reply to
Swingman

I generally go 1/2" or 3/8ths. 1/4" is too small.

Hah. Worse tool a cabinet maker can own is a nailer. I've installed tons and tons of backs using just nails, always wishing I had a nailer. I never bought one knowing that I really didn't need one, and I would surely get myself in trouble using it. Well, finally I bought one of those Harbor fright air things that shoot pins and staples. Too cheap to pass up. Works fine, and yes, I've over used it, and finally got to pin a back to a bookcase, a utility shelf thing I made for the basement. Yes, a managed to shoot a brad or two through the side, and when I build a non utility piece that needs a back, I will try like hell NOT to use the air gun... Note I said try, as they are hard NOT to use, very easy and quick, and the government would do well to ban them from cabinet shops for those too stupid/lazy to not use them, me for example:-)

Guess which step I didn't make

No, it's not stupid at all, it's how it is normally done. 1/4" is a little small, and nail guns are dangerous.

1x stock is normally 3/4", half would be 3/8ths. With 3/4" I usually go 3/8ths and a bump.
Reply to
Jack

I've never glued a back in for the same reason. Nails are removable. On the other hand, I don't think I ever removed, replaced or otherwise touched a back once installed.

Reply to
Jack

I used to brad many years ago And I don't recall why I switched but I think I had to remove a back once, i don't recall why. Its kinda like you and your reason for liking Philips head screws. Screws are easier to remove than nails.

Reply to
Leon