Rabbet clean-up

I just cut a few rabbets in some Jatoba for a box I'm building. It's the pet urn from the recent Canadian Woodworking Magazine. I don't own a shoulder plane so I logged on to the Lee Valley site to buy one and they are out-of-stock until the end of April. Anyone have any suggestions on other good ways to clean up the saw marks without damaging the nice lines of my box? I suppose I could use sandpaper but I'm concerned with keeping everything straight. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

Ed wrote:>I don't own a

Use a correspondingly long sanding block with the sandpaper? Sorry about your pet. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Use a single-edge razor blade as you would a scraper and clean the edge up with that. Or if you want more aggressive action, use a chisel, held nearly vertical and pulled along the rabbet to clean up the saw marks.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

snip

Thanks, I'll try it. Not my pet, a friend's.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

Scraper? Not that difficult to make a small profile scraper from a used hacksaw blade or utility knife blade. With a little practice, a light touch, and not much pressure you can get a glass-smooth finish.

good luck vic

Reply to
Victor Radin

In that case....

Cutting rabbets for a pet urn?

Sorry, it had to be said.

vic terminally silly

Reply to
Victor Radin

Hi Ed -

Shoulder planes should be back in stock within a week....

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Reply to
Robin Lee

A scraper.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Or you could get the Veritas shoulder plane for considerably less than the LN. It's an innovatively improved shoulder plane that works really nicely and is easy on the hand.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

of course. they're just a hare undersize.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Your problem is your blades aren't sharp enough. You didn't spend enough time lapin them.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Oh! Now *that's* a good one...

Reply to
mttt

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:41:57 -0500, "Robin Lee" brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm glad I didn't have my long-handled crowbar out this morning.

Speaking of which, could you resend that email acknowledging the order? I had a computer crash (NT blue screen) right after it came so I lost it. Merci!

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

Done.

Reply to
Robin Lee

snip

Thanks, everybody, for your input. I ended up using a combination of sanding and scraping and it seems to have come out ok, although a SHOULDER PLANE would have been nicer. Get that Rob,.... SHOULDER PLANE? Anyway, I'll post some pics on ABPW when I get the finishing complete.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

LVT0041 DISPLAY Display Purchase Order Details 4/02/04

12:42:05

Lee Valley Tools Ltd.

S P Product Description Buyer : JM Date Out

05P4101 Vendor 2993

Vendor Part

Type options, press Enter.

5=Display

Purchase Line Quan Quan Quan Order Due

Opt Whs Order No. Vendor # Ordered Received Due date Date

1 48705 135 2993 *** *** *** 2/17/04 4/12/04 1 48763 56 2993 *** 0 *** 3/20/04 4/30/04

GOT IT!! This one (Medium) should be back in stock next week actually....

Or did you mean the LARGE SHOULDER PLANE, which will be here later THIS SUMMER!!!!

Cheers -

Rob

:)

Sheesh - next thing you'll want is a store, too...

Reply to
Robin Lee

[silvan@giganator] /tmp

->uptime 22:52:01 up 134 days, 19:20, 3 users, load average: 4.96, 5.56, 5.71

(My load average sucks though. 5.71? Good grief! It's because I'm compiling Rosegarden on a crappy PII-233 while attempting to run a couple dozen applications. I need to replace my dead computer soon. This thing sucks. OTOH, if I replace this computer, there goes my uptime.)

Reply to
Silvan

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:48:00 -0500, "Robin Lee" scribbled:

Just remember that I asked first, back in 1998 or so.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Now THAT was definitely a neener!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

SNIP

OK, Rob, since you're offering. Any centralized city in NB would be just fine, but Miramichi would be my first choice for your next store. You really should have one in this province since the Canadian rep for L-N lives in NB as well.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G