Rabbet Block Plane v. Rabbet Plane for just rabbets

If you're not doing ploughs or dados, is the rabbet block plane from LN a good way to go? I'm thinking that fucntionally it ought to do the trick. I'm just wondering b/c I've been wanting (needing, actually) a good rabbet plane. JP

I find the rabbet block a good choice for _trimming_ rabbets. It lacks good control for _making_ them in any length. Folks with smaller hands than mine would probably find it even less comfortable. Trims the faces on tenons and works as a general purpose block very well, so it's certainly more versatile than a regular rabbet plane.
If you're going to limit your rabbeting to say 1/2" wide, might want to consider the LV medium shoulder plane. I've fenced and rabbeted with it many times. It shoulders well, trims faces less so
Jay Pique wrote:

Have both the LN rabbet/block plane and the LV medium shoulder plane and if I had to have only one of them it'd be the LN. Trim and/or level tenon shoulders and shave the cheeks of the tenon as well. With both, you have to be careful when you grab them carelessly - that little bit of the iron proturning on either side will nick you given the opportunity. Most of the time the blood stain doesn't show on the finished piece ;).
charlie b