Rabbet Block Plane v. Rabbet Plane for just rabbets

If you're not doing ploughs or dados, is the rabbet block plane from LN a good way to go? I'm thinking that fucntionally it ought to do the trick. I'm just wondering b/c I've been wanting (needing, actually) a good rabbet plane. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I find the rabbet block a good choice for _trimming_ rabbets. It lacks good control for _making_ them in any length. Folks with smaller hands than mine would probably find it even less comfortable. Trims the faces on tenons and works as a general purpose block very well, so it's certainly more versatile than a regular rabbet plane.

If you're going to limit your rabbeting to say 1/2" wide, might want to consider the LV medium shoulder plane. I've fenced and rabbeted with it many times. It shoulders well, trims faces less so

Reply to
George

Have both the LN rabbet/block plane and the LV medium shoulder plane and if I had to have only one of them it'd be the LN. Trim and/or level tenon shoulders and shave the cheeks of the tenon as well. With both, you have to be careful when you grab them carelessly - that little bit of the iron proturning on either side will nick you given the opportunity. Most of the time the blood stain doesn't show on the finished piece ;).

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b