QX - Curing Time for Watco Danish Oil?

Just finished a little box of curly maple and cherry for the daughter

- she announced a second grandboy is on the way, so I made her a little gift.

Used Watco Danish oil for the first time. I generally go with BLO but reading here that the darkening of BLO kills pretty maple figure decided to try something else. It's been on for 36 hours and I just rubbed it out with that grey plastic substitute for 000 steel wool (ain't that stuff nice to use compared to the real thing!).

How long should I let the finish cure before waxing? Can says 72 hours before overcoating with Urethane, etc, so I assume the same goes for wax. That sound about right?

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Tom Banes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

longer is better. Watco is essentially BLO with a drop of varnish-like additive. Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told.

Post a pic on abpw?

Congrats on the new grandcritter.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch:

Thanks - I'll wait a week or so. Like finishing a gunstock, slow is better I guess.

Pic is now at

Tom Banes

I would wait at least a week, unless you can set it how in the hot sun, to put wax on. I just finished a board with Watco and coated it with Urethane after 24 hours. Did pretty much the same with an oak table, oil --24 hours--dry sand, oil

--24 hours--wet sand (more like moist), dry for

24-48 hours, urethane-- 24 hrs --wet sand, urethane --24 to 48 hours --wet sand (for however many coats you want.

Note that I always add dryer to Watco and to Urethane, to assure that it dries in a reasonable time period.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Tom Banes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nicely done! Should be a keepsake for a long time.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Tom.. the grain on the top just sort of sums up WHY we work with wood...

We can do a lot of thing to wood, but none that can duplicate what nature does.. just beautiful wood and very nice work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mac:

Thanks, I kinda liked the wood myself. As for the work, you wouldn't believe the errors I covered up! Read my prior post on kickback lesson. The box was supposed to be about 3/4" higher - just had to cut off the gouged hunk and redesign on the fly.

Great fun.

At the same URL, one level up, directory Tray, is a nut tray I routed out of a flitch - that is some really pretty wood. Even I couldn't foul it up too badly. Nature will win if we just let her.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Tom, The nice thing about oil finishes is that the wood tells you when it has had enough. The process I use with Watco Danish Oil is to coat, leave for 30 minutes, coat for another 15 minutes and if there is any residue - wipe off and let harden for 24 hours. When the wood is no longer absorbing the oil, there will be a uniform coat of oil after the first coat. Wipe off the residue and then let it harden for at least a week before waxing.

I'm not a big fan of the gray synthetic mesh for finishing hardwood. It may have the same coarseness as #000 steel wool but it doesn't have the strength of steel wool. It doesn't seem to cut into the wood in the same way as steel wool. I usually go to #0000 steel wool after the

3rd coat of oil but probably everyone on this newsgroup has their own preferences.

TWS

Reply to
TWS