Quietest small compressor

Can anyone recommend a quiet small compressor? It for use in a basement.
I read comments here that the oil-less types are noisier than the oil-lube. Is that true?
It will be used mainly for light-duty nail-gun use.
Thanks
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

I have one of those 5HP/20Gal Devilbiss units in my basement right now. Yup, noisier than the 'oil type' in the garage. But it fills up faster and is clean,no maintenance 'cept blowing out filter. I put a 5 sided box around it,leaving 3" more or less and stapled old carpet to all five sides. It's reasonably quiet now and I gained another 'worktop' about 2 by 2 feet. Works for me for the past 5 years...
Jay
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:37:11 -0500, "j.b. miller"

Slightly noisier? Much noisier? ???
Would it annoy someone in the next room trying to watch TV?

By clean, do you mean no oil?

--
Spam sink email address, sorry

Top Spin wrote:

My neighbor has one of those damned oiless sears units, It annoys me at 150 feet or more. I hear it in my garage and I hear it in my house.
Putting a box over the pump isn't an option for some of us, if I'm going to spend money, even on a piece of junk tool, I'm not going to abuse it.
If your looking for a quiet compressor look for a standard compressor with an iron pump. Iron absorbs noise.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Compressors are not supposed to be quiet. However, when I want quiet I fill a portable tank to the "quiet area" and use from that tank.
Check out the Thomas T30HP unit, 1-1/2 horsepower, 4 gallon pancake. It's a relatively quiet oilless unit. IIRC is about $300.
I do not think it is available here in the US, as I have never seen it. I use to own an Emglo, it is fully concealing in a steel casing with foams padding inside. It is so quiet that it sound less than my central cooling/heating system (fans). By the way the Emglo is made in Italy and I believe it was 2 to 3 CFM, a small units.