quiet woodworking

Page 2 of 2

I have a 6 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I took up woodworking when my daughter was about 6-9 months old.
I use machines for all the stock prep, but hand tools for most of the joinery. My first workbench was lousy 3/4" MDF -- reverberated like a drum when I pounded on it. Since, I built a stout beech workbench and now the sound of chisels doesn't carry upstairs appreciably. At night I do joinery, scraping, assembly, and finishing.
My favorite projects are the things I've built for and with my kids.