quiet router?

Hi All,
I'm looking for a quality router - the quieter the better. The router motor needs to be removable from the handle assembly because I'll be mounting it in a cnc gantry table. I need at least 2 horsepower - more is definitely better.
Any recommendations?
Eric
quiet and router are oxymorons.
well, if you just turn it on and don't actually rout anything, it isn't that loud. remember, these are direct drive, high rpm motors - they're going to be loud.
I have a porter cable 7518 3 HP in my router table - it's a routing beast and eats wood for fun. I also have a 2.25 HP dewalt router with the fixed, d-handle and plunge bases. It is very versatile and I highly recommend it. (I think the model # is DW 625, IIRC).
Mike

I meant universal motors, but you get the idea

Several people have said the Porter Cable 895 routers are reasonably quiet. I think they're 2 1/4 HP. They come with an above the table height adjuster, which looks attractive to me. I don't have one yet, but am planning to order one within the next week or so...

Eric snipped-for-privacy@WindyCity.org wrote:

quiet router, not one that runs, anyway. A universal motor spinning at 25,000 rpm is gonna be loud.

I second that recommendation. I got one of those WorkTunes radio/hearing protectors for Christmas. Can barely hear the equipment running while listening to tunes at a comfortable volume.

Thats why there is a switch on my router. I can choose quiet mode or loud mode. And also the speed is adjustable with a knob.
So I installed it on Linux...
Makita 1101 series has the quietest motor out there. Now, that's not saying it's quiet! Just in comparison to other routers. It is removable and is rated at 2.25hp. I use mine all the time.
HTH

Maybe you want shaper innards instead?
The first router I ever used was a B&D plunge and the second was a PC (690?). The sound on both was actually painful without ear protection. I now have a PC 890 and compared to the others, I hardly notice the noise unless I am really hogging wood. I still try to wear ear protection though. One of the tool review books gave noise ratings on the various routers and the 890 shared the lead on least noisy, but I can't find the book and I can't remember who the other contenders were. Maybe someone can point you to it. The 890 is 2 1/4 hp.

Eric Tailor wrote:

Eric...
I'm running a 5HP Colombo spindle on my CNC router; and think it's about as quiet as a router can be. At speeds below 10K RPM I sometimes have to check the controller display to see if its running. In the 15K to 24K RPM range I can hear it; but it's still quiet enough to stand beside it and have a normal phone conversation.
That's when its idling. Noise while cutting depends on speed, bit, and workpiece material - anything from near whisper quiet to full scream requiring hearing protectors.
I normally run my router in the 10K - 18K RPM range. I have a Delta (not the same Delta that made my Unisaur) controller that allows me to set the spindle speed in 0.1 RPM increments anywhere from 0 to 24000 RPM (considerably more control than I need). The Delta controller has an RS-485 interface that allows me to control the spindle from my PC.
You can learn more at http://www.pdscolombo.com
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA