Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Page 3 of 4
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:14:03 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Robert, haven't you heard of Robert Heinlein, the famous science fiction author? That's his humorous wit. Don't you like it?
OK, you said nothing about selling real estate <g> but when you said "my art" I figured it was -your- artistry on top of -your- framing so -you- were the majority shareholder in its sale. Shame on you for misleading me, eh? I doubt I was the only one here which was misled.
Ciao!
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-
Larry Jaques wrote:

I see. You didn't put a smiley after the joke, so I didn't know it was a joke.
I read some of his books when I was young, actually.
Robert M.
Max wrote:

If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't continue to ask questions.
Robert

If you would like an unbiased opinion: based on what I read, I'd try the compressor-- maybe with an extra tank. Good luck!

In

Robert, Check the pawn shops, you can find some good deals there. What part of the country are you in? I'll send ya a staple gun. If your only doing a few frames a week, do them during the day when most people are at work and you shouldn't have to worry about the noise. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to stretch several many frames. Do you need a wide crown http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/index.cfm/fastenerseriesID/1/Staples/Heavy-Wire/1700-Series / or medium/fine wire? http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/index.cfm/subTypeID/3/Staples/Fine-Wire/
ChairMan wrote:

http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/index.cfm/fastenerseriesID/1/Staples/Heavy-Wire/1700-Series /
Thanks, Chairman.
I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.
I read somewhere that the wide crowns hold the fabric better.
Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched, but I don't know if having wide crowns would hold the fabric tightly enough to reduce the loosening of the canvas.
Robert
Robert Montgomery wrote:

Also I don't know what minimum length of staples to be able to use.
I heard of a picture framer who prefers one-quarter-inch-long tines so that he can pull the staples out of the wood if they're not seated properly, but most of the pneumatics I've been recommended have as their minimum tine-length 3/8ths of an inch.
And somebody in this thread even recommended a gun that shoots staples that have tines that are a minimum of 3/4ths of an inch, which is at least double the length that they have to be to shoot staples into artists' stretcher bars.
Robert

He's baaack!!
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:48:59 -0600, the infamous "Max"

I can see now that it's a true million dollar troll, can't you? <sigh> Now engaging th' twit filter, Cap'n!
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren
Larry Jaques wrote:

-- Earl Warren
I'm trying to learn and make the best choices.
Why are you and Max ridiculing me and calling me an impostor?
I haven't written anything to imply that I'm an impostor.
Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost impossible to extract from the wood.
AResearch takes time. It takes time especially when people make stupid assumptions, such as assuming that someone with a million dollars wroth of sales is a millionaire. Of course, people who make stupid assumptions like that are going to make stupid assumptions about staple guns, air compressors and air tanks as well, so I'm just being careful to try to communicate clearly and make the right choices. There's nothing wrong with that.
I've followed the advice of many other people in other newsgroups, as well and much of it turned out to be wrong, and as always happens, much of the advice is conflicting (i.e. buy a tank and compressor, or buy a compressor only). So the adage applies here: "Once bitten, twice shy" and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad results.
Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult that I'm a mischief-maker.
I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too; every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's forcing you to read my letters here.
I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max; you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my frustration is increased and my search continues.
Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.
Robert

You also made the careless mistake of writing a joke that wasn't clearly a joke in your sig line, without putting a smiley behind it, thus leaving it open to misinterpretation. "Not always right, but never uncertain." That example of carelessness also demonstrates why I have to be careful in the decisions that I make, based on the recommendations of others. Since you are careless with your signature line, you can be careless with your advice regarding my equipment and supplies needs as well.
The snide insults I got from you and Max remind me of the immature bullying of elementary and high school bullies. You've shown impatience, rudeness and immaturity in dismissing me as a prankster. Grow up!
Robert
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:25:51 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Didn't you imply that you'd had a million dollars worth of sales? And now you're admitting that you didn't stretch the canvas tightly enough in the first place to keep it from drooping when there's a bit of humidity in the air? Sheesh!

I said that stapler _could_ work and that I'd used 1/2" staples in that model, despite what you read. If you don't want to try it, don't. But don't just sit there and repeatedly whine about it, Robert. <shrug>

Yeah, different people need different tools for their own situations. But it sounds like you need to do ALL your research first, before buying any more tools. Have you called any compressor manufacturers yet?

Hell, no. I research the -spit- out of most things before investing money into them. My mama din't raise no foo.
Might I suggest one last thing? Talk to other art framers and see what they've tried and didn't like, what they use, and why they use their current tools. I won't post on this subject again.

A million dollars worth of framing sold and you're still a beginner? Who could have guessed?

That's true. When people add to their list of requirements -after- requesting info, it gets a bit tedious. And the only reason I'm seeing this is that I forgot to twit filter you like I was going to. But you've got to remember that you are requesting favors of people and, especially if you cop an attitude, their patience may not last through an extended learning curve (such as I'm seeing with you.)

Oh, come on. I made several suggestions and you blew 'em off. That's fine. Do as you like, but don't whine.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other people. ;)
P.S: Are you limping yet? <wink>
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
Larry Jaques wrote:

You're just made two more, superficial, false assumptions by not reading carefully and not thinking carefully. I DID write above that "Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched," However, I DID NOT write that any of those canvasses were mine.
Another false assumption you made: I DID NOT write that any of the million dollars worth of retail sales of art and framing were for stretched canvasses of mine. So far, the retail value of the stretched canvasses of mine that have sold, including framing, accounts for only about $750 of that $1,000,000.

One-half-inch staples is still too long. I read that one picture framer prefers one-quarter-inch-long staples in case they don't seat properly, so he can remove them more easily.
And if you're using 1/2" staples in a gun that's designed for 3/4-inch staples minimum length, that indicates to me that 1/4 inch MIGHT work for me, but a red flag goes up in my mind because you're using a product in a way that the manufacturer didn't intend. To state skepticism isn't 'whining'; it's just common sense, and common sense is based on information gleaned from experience. Experience has taught me that if someone else bends the rules, I may or may not get away with the same thing, depending on the circumstances.

I emailed Senco about the noise level of the PC0973 combo package and got the response that the compressor emits 69 decibels.

Then why are you criticizing me for doing the same thing? That's hypocrisy.
My mama din't raise no foo.
If that were true, she would have raised you not to be a hypocrite, to give people the benefit of doubt, and taught you not to jump to conclusions. She should also have taught you to be polite.

I'd already done that. Most of them seem to prefer Porter-Cable pneumatics, which someone wrote here are the loudest.

A beginner at canvas art, yes. There are other forms of art besides canvas. Who could have guessed that you would think superficially again?

As I wrote above, people who lose patience with me can simply stop reading what I write. That would be better than people continuing to read, getting angry about my attention to detail and skepticism, and then insulting me because of their anger.
And something you should realize that others benefit from threads such as these; Bill expressed gratitude in this thread because he learned that oil compressors tend to be louder than oilless.

Being a careful shopper isn't whining.

Doesn't surprise me.

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy, sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life" and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for you.
Robert
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:38:02 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

<g>
Robert, you idiot, I see now more than ever that I should have plonked you when I mentioned it. People take time out of their day to offer you their advice and you whine about it, repeatedly.
Note the sig line beneath this message and you MAY discern the humor in my postscript above. It came right after my PS, so you couldn't miss the meaning, or so I thought. It was the sig you snipped in order to write your last paragraph. Whadda maroon. Instead, you took it personally and out of context. Brilliant.
No reply is necessary as you are now firmly in my killfile. <plonk>
P.S: If you don't thicken your skin on Usenet, you'll continue to be clueless, continue to distance people, and continue to be unhappy.
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
Robert Montgomery ranted

Damn Larry, I had no idea that you were such a bastard! LOL
(And he mispelled sarcasm too.)
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:42:03 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

I'm a bitch, too. Just ask him. ;)

Send him over. I'll staple his dunce hat to his hollow head. Y'know, to show him how the 1/2" staples actually do fit and work in the HF 2-in-1 Stapler/Nailer at 100psi. See? I'm not a bad guy.
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
He's baaack!!
Max

I thought I learnt that compressors that use oil may make a "less annoying" sound then their oil-less compatriots. Now brethren, I think it's time we bow our heads in silence and reflection.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I think I'd need up to 100 p.s.i to run a staple gun.
Robert

Again, get something that is rated ovr a 100 psi. Or just buy a baby compressor to run the gun.
Personally, what I would do is to approach your neighbors and tell them that you will be making some noise once or twice a week for a few minutes. Then schedule it around those times. Make sure you have enough frames on hand to not have to do this any other time than the agreed to times.
Just buy a baby (pancake) compressor, not screw around with the tanks and just make a little noise now and then. And if it is still too lound, build a soudproof box to keep it in. As an artist, you can make the box look any way you want. For that matter, you can paint the compressor and stapler too!
Hey, you know that life is complicated for an artist! There would no art if there were no such stresses and complications in life.
Be an artist. Suck it up. Get it done. Be a macho sumbitch. ;-)