Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

That stapler takes minimum 3/4-inch staples, which is at least twice as long as the longest staples I would use. I want short staples so that I can extract them easily if they don't seat properly.

How would the extra tank work with the compressor? How much noise do they make?

-- Oprah Winfrey

I hate challenges, because they make life very difficult. --Robert Montgomery

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

How often does it have to be noisy when you're stapling? I understand that the compressor would be noisy only when it's filling with air.

How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

only noisy while pumping full of air. then it shuts off and waits until drainrd down far enough to need to pump again

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Correct.

Once it's filled with air, it's quits running.

Hmm. It shuts off when the little tank fills. If you're concerned about it running for a "long" time, get a spare tank to fill as well. How often the compressor cycles on and off is going to depend on how "fast" you drive staples.

Max

Reply to
Max

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:04:01 -0500, the infamous "basilisk" scrawled the following:

Yeah, that's one option, depending on the cost of rentals in his area. But what's he going to do when he finds out he wants to blow toast crumbs out his baby oven, clean the vacuum, dry his bbq grille, blow out the garage, and all the other good stuff compressors are for? He'd go through a whole tank in an hour. ;)

(Yeah, on the porch/balcony, of course.)

-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So I guess there isn't even one model of electric staple gun on the whole world that would be suitable for stretching artists' canvas?

If only there were a suitable electric, I could avoid all the hassles of iimporting from the U.S. to Canada, plus the noise, clutter and lugging around a heavy compressor in my crowed apartment, building a box with soundpoofing and maybe even dealing with an extra tank in my crowded apartment and having the risk of being unhappy with the equipment, in which case I'd to return it to the store in the U.S. and pay a 20 percent restocking fee.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

"Robert Montgomery" wrote

There is no noise associated with the spare tank. Only with the stapler. If you were only going to do this some of the time, why don't you just go to those air filling stations for the tires. You can then bring the tank home and staple with that.

You are not building houses or cabinets. Your needs are very modest. That is what some of the guys who air brush do, they just fill a tank and use that.

I had a friend who had a volkswagon and he got tired of people ignoring him. So he went to the junk yard and got an air horn from a big Mack truck. He then installed it in the car and put an air tank in there. The tank drove the air horn. Let a little air out and the horn made a BIG noise. When he went by the gas station, he would fill up the air tank. It would last him for months since the horn wasn't used that much.

And when he used it, it almost caused a panic! People kept looking around for a big truck! It definitely attracted attention. He was no longer ignored.

Same thing here. It doesn't take that much air to drive a staple. Unless you are going into commercial production, a little air will go a long way. (Kinda like off topic threads on the wreck)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Just to follow up on my previous comments onusing a small air tank to drive your stapler.

I have seen roofers and other tradesmans using tanks for small jobs. It is quicker and handier than setting up a compressor on site. And I saw one guy who put an inverter on his pickup and drove a compressor to fill his air tanks. Again, this is only for small jobs.

And if you are just going to build some frames from time to time, there are a lot of businesses in your neighborhood who have compressors. See if you can find somebody who will fill up a tank for five bucks or so. If you could find such an arrangement, it would be chaeper than buying a compressor for a couple years or so.

Again, everything depends on your actual air usage. The hardness of the wood, the length of the staple, the sharpness (quality) of the staple, etc., etc. How many frames will you build at one time, etc.

And hey, as an artist, you can paint your tank up to look like some kinda space age accessory! All the kids will think you are cool.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

How much do spare tanks weigh? I don't have a car so I'd have to carry the tank four blocks to the nearest gas station and then back home. I have a bad back. Just today I had a chiropractic adjustment. I was in a car accident 15 years ago, which has necessitated 200 medical appointments and my back has been in constant pain for the last 15 years.

How does the whole thing work? You carry the tank to a gas station, fill the tank there, bring it home and hook up the gun to the tank and bypass the compressor? So I wouldn't need a compressor?

I might stretch a canvas every couple of days if they sell well. Some of them could be as long as six feet and as wide as a foot and-a-half. A

40-inch-long by 18-inch-high canvas requires about a hundred staples, so that would mean firing 300 or 400 staples per week.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

I think I'd need up to 100 p.s.i to run a staple gun.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

"Robert Montgomery" wrote

It will weigh about 12 pounds or so for a 5 gallon tank. Cost about $60. Rather than carry it that distance, I'd buy a small compressor and let the tank fill during the day when your neighbors would not be bothered by it.

Two solutions. Buy a pancake compressor with a large enough tank to hold you, or buy a smaller compressor and an auxiliary tank to use

Ed Pawlowski

"Robert Montgomery" wrote

There are differrent sizes. I have seen five gallon tanks that probably weigh about 15 - 20 lbs. I have seen them on sale for $20 or so. I would guess about $30 - $40 usd.

Then get a cart ot hand truck of some kind. Strap it in with some kind of web strapping. Take your little baby for a walk. Get it filled up. Bring it home and burp it. Make some art. Life is good.

Right. The air tool uses air. It doesn't care where it gets its air. From a compressor or a tank. The compressor actually does not drive the gun. The compressor just fills the tank which drives the gun.

That is why when you have a small compressor and use a tool that uses a lot of air, the compressor runs all the time or can not keep up. Conversely, if you use a tool that does not use much air, the compressor comes on rarely.

That is why a tank may work for you. A stapler does not use that much air.

Again, since I have no direct experience in running staplers off of an air tank, you will just need to try it out. If you get a tank from a place that will take it back, you can always buy a tank and try it out. If it doesn't work, just bring it back.

But it is a tank or a compressor. With one, you have to build a special box for it. With the other, you have to go on air runs. Each has it problems. You have to decide what is best for you.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Again, get something that is rated ovr a 100 psi. Or just buy a baby compressor to run the gun.

Personally, what I would do is to approach your neighbors and tell them that you will be making some noise once or twice a week for a few minutes. Then schedule it around those times. Make sure you have enough frames on hand to not have to do this any other time than the agreed to times.

Just buy a baby (pancake) compressor, not screw around with the tanks and just make a little noise now and then. And if it is still too lound, build a soudproof box to keep it in. As an artist, you can make the box look any way you want. For that matter, you can paint the compressor and stapler too!

Hey, you know that life is complicated for an artist! There would no art if there were no such stresses and complications in life.

Be an artist. Suck it up. Get it done. Be a macho sumbitch. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Are pancakes better than hotdogs?

Frozen North here recommended the Senco PC0973 Upholstery Compressor Combo Kit, which comes with a one-gallon, one-half horsepower, hotdog compressor

does that hotdog compare to the Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 1-Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor With Accessory kit that Ed recommended
)?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:49:34 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

I shoot half inchers it mine all the time. For canvas, I think I'd prefer the (97572) 1/2" crown stapler. That's what I use for most upholstery work, like the barstool seatcovers and my dining set chairs. It's a nice little stapler, and is quieter than the others.

Ingy is noisy, as most airlesses are. I hook the tank up to the compressor and fill it, then turn the compressor off and use the tank wherever.

I keep saying I'm going to build the sonic box for my big HF compressor but I never get around to it. I step over the carpet for it all the time. It's essentially a pair of open-ended, open- bottomed boxes, one larger than the other by 4" in width and 4" in height. The openings let air in (for cooling the compressor and providing the compressed air) and the carpeted innards take out about

9DB of noise, so the compressor is one eighth as noisy.

I should do that this weekend. I need to move that plywood anyway.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 04:13:23 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Ingy runs up to 100psi. The staplers want up to 90psi, but I pump 100 through them with the little tank filled from Ingy.

I used the stapler/nailer today with 1-1/4" nails, trimming out a

6'x23' deck on one tank. Half-round around the bottoms of the posts and along the house and door threshold. I still had 72psi left after shooting, hmm, maybe 60 nails. It takes about 5 minutes to fill, getting noisier as the pump works harder at the top psi.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:22:59 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Well, for 3/8" x 3/8" staples into softwood, you might be OK with an electric, but as you said, they're heavier. You really shouldn't need

400 staples for a 6-foot frame, though.

Canuckistani, are ya? Go to

for these things. Hmm, limited supply. Know any friends at the border? Find a nearby Harbor Freight store.

Build a little cart for the compressor and sonic box so they're on casters for easy movement.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Robert Montgomery wrote in news:Pzfrn.187$z%6.139@edtnps83:

Shipping weight on this one is 18 lbs:

a pound or two off for packaging, and it's probably pretty close. (It happened to be the first one I found.)

Exactly. The gas station is providing the compressor. Just make sure the tank has a tire-style valve on it.

At 300-400 staples a week, I'd definately look in to getting a small compressor. The small ones often don't make much noise (no worse than a vacuum) and will run just about any air nailer you care to throw at it. (The size you're likely to use will probably shoot 20-30 staples before cycling.)

I have a 5 gallon tank I use for my air brush. It lets me have several minutes of run time before I have to take it back over to the compressor and fill it up. It can be a hassle to take it to a gas station and fill it if you have to every day.

If you start with the tank and find you need more air reserve, you can hook the tank to the compressor and have more standby air. (More time between cycles, but longer cycles.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Senco has a very good reputation.

The differences are in output. The Senco is a bit higher, about .75 cfm as opposed to the .39 of the CH model. More money = more capacity. The higher the output, the shorter the run time to build air pressure. I don't know the corresponding noise levels though. Either one will suit your needs, the more expensive on will do so a little faster.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind. You're probably right , Robert. Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution. Electric staplers aren't strong enough. Air staplers are too expensive. Compressors are too noisy. Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled. You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

Reply to
Max