Quick release for bandsaw blade tension

In the last few months (maybe 6) I read an article on a shop made lever/arm affair that a fellow had made to replace the knob on his bandsaw tensioning system. It was a quick release and tensioning lever that was mounted to the top of his bandsaw so that the blade's tension could be released when not in use. I thought the article was in Finewoodworking or Woodsmith, but I was unable to find the article in the indexes. This is my first post and I do enjoy the group's postings, except the war deaths. I don't mind an opinion, but this is not the place. If anyone can guide me to the article it would be much appreciated. Jim
Don't know about a home made unit, but if you decide that you really need a quick release unit then Hartville tool sells one.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11261

I think it's kind of strange that there are no knock off's of the Carter. Just about every band saw maker has their own version of it now, and you can get cheap roller bearings, but no cheap quick release.
-Leuf
snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote:

for me. 3 or 4 quick turns does it.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 4 Feb 2006 19:31:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote:

I made a wooden crank (from pallet wood) that fits over the existing knob of my Delta 14" bandsaw. The crack is secured with a metal plate and three screws. To install it I had to remove the tensioning knob and rod, but made no modifications to the bandsaw. I can post a couple pics in the bin group if you wish.
I would appreciate the photos.....and ideas other than a lever.
Anyone considered an inexpensive battery operated "screwdriver"?

I posted pictures in a.b.p.w. This crank makes it super easy and simple. The only complaint I have is that I wish I had done it years ago.
I'm new at this. Where do I find Phisherman"s photos?
The article was on page 4 , issue 161 of Woodsmith. (Oct/Nov 2005) John
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't ask, but what are the opinions on leaving the tension on a band saw blade in between uses? Sometimes I don't use it for a week or two. Minnesota Jim
It's a good idea to release the tension between uses. This saves wear and tear on the tires, helps keep the wheels coplanar, and keeps the spring from wearing out. All these things need attention during a band saw tuneup (this task is not too fun.)

At the risk of offending someone (which is not my intension), I think bandsaws lived quite happily with tensioned blades until the economy got so bad that out of work mechanical engineers were forced to earn a living by writing articles for woodworking magazines. Bandsaws are one of the most rough and ready, extremely useful tools in the workshop, but get real, this is not a precision tool and IMO does not need all the care and attension that some would make you believe it does. The only reason to have a quick tension release mechanism is if your work requires you to change blades often.

Comments regarding Max Mahanke's opinion.
I started my career as an "apprentice"in the machine shop of a very large corporation in the year 1954. In those days, an apprentice was the lowest form of animal life in any machine shop. All the "grunt" jobs were lowered to the apprentice. You learned, or you "got out". One of my menial jobs was using one of the many large bandsaws in the machine shop. That included rough cutting raw stock to size, cleaning and maintaining the bandsaw. I can not remember "releasing tension" at any time. Once the tension was set, the machine was in a ready state for use.
Could there be some significant difference between the machines....I doubt it. We assumed that once a tire had a "set" the alignment would stay until a new tire was required. In other words, a groove was established that helped regulate the bandsaws performance. Maybe things have changed......
I ended my career as an electronic physyicist and a very avid woodworker. I am still learning and I am readily open for opinions regarding my prized woodworking tools.
One other comment. Way back then, an apprentice learned to sharpen tools. We learned to sharpen using a grinding wheel for rough forming, then finished using several stages of finer "emery" cloth, which is a form of sandpaper. We are now back to using sandpaper. What goes around, comes around.
John
Thank you John.

John and Max, That was always my feeling(have had a Craftsman 12 in. for 25 years and never worried about the tension) I guess the articles about bad things happening by leaving the tension on may not apply to me as the bs still has the same "tires"and still works well, although they are a bit frayed. I recently bought a used Laguna 16 and didn't want to harm my new $35 blade or the machine. Is $600.00 a good buy?
I've been working in machine shops for about twenty years. Never seen a bandsaw detensioned unless it was to change a blade.

Thanks John, thats the article!! Minnesota Jim