Quick Question: Hinge Placement

Just looking for a quick opinion regarding placement for basic barrel hinges.
It's a basic two door cabinet. 3/4" Red Oak. The doors should be 24" tall and 12" wide, rails & stiles are 2" in width with glass panes.
Is there a particular formula for locating the heights of the hinges on a frame. If not, what would be a good height to install the hinges. i.e. 2" , 3" or 4" from either end etc...
Pat
Sat, Jul 10, 2004, 2:23am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@home.com (Pat) wants to know: Just looking for a quick opinion <snip>
I don't know if there's a "formula" for that or not, and don't care. My quick opinion: Put them where you think they look best.
Making a success of the job at hand is the best step toward the kind you want. - Bernard M. Baruch More likely, your boss gets a raise and/or promotion, from getting credit for your work. - JOAT
One very common way is to place the top, or bottom, of the pin in the barrel even with the inner edge of the rail ( 2" in your case).
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:07:31 -0600, "Alan Bierbaum"

Thanks Alan... That's a good idea. Every cabinet around me is either face frame overlay, or wrap around hinge, so I wasn't sure how to determine the placement on an inset door.
BTW: Like your site - I'll have to take another look at all those pictures...
Thanks Again...
Pat

I watched a kitchen remodel on TV & they used the hinge as a guide/spacer. The hinge was set on the door flush to top/bottom and hinge to be used was placed above/below this. Hard to describe - basically with a 2 inch hinge it would be 2 inches from the top & bottom. I just measured my (factory built) cabinets & the hinges are 2 & a quarter inches & mounted 2 & a quarter inches from the top & bottom of the door.
HTH Big John
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.