Quick Electrial Question

If the water is a good enough conductor for you to get injured through it then it's good enough to keep the sink and disposal at ground potential.

This isn't the radio in the bathtub scenario. The current source is buried deep in the guts of the disposal and the shortest path is going to be inside the disposal, not through the water in the sink that is likely to shock you.

But you go on being afraid of garbage disposals. The rest of us have lives.

Reply to
J. Clarke

it has nothing to do with 'choosing'. It is G F C I. GFI is wrong.

Reply to
Steve Barker

motors will often trip GFCI's that is why they should never be used on refrigerators, disposals, diswashers and sump pumps and the like.

Reply to
Steve Barker

your gf"C" i is probably bad.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yes, no ground is required for a gfci to function.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"m II" wrote in news:QkV8q.3629$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

The upside down outlet and certain devices actually create a greater hazard because they were designed to go the other way. I once found a polarized wall wart (I think it was a battery charger) that could pull away from an outlet due to gravity. The outlet expander that sits on one outlet, and covers the other has a tendency to pull loose if installed upside down. (Various solutions have been tried: Adding a plastic ground pin, screwing the device to the outlet.)

So, the point is that it's ironic that a method presumed to increase safety of an unlikely situation actually creates the conditions for the unlikely situation to occur.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

it's such a far fetched off the wall possibility, it's bullshit. NO (repeat NO) outlet in my control will ever be ground up. it's just wrong. And no, I don't have those asshole antisiphon garden hose outlets either. too much restriction. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket in less than 40 seconds with the 110 psi i have on my hose spigots, and i intend to keep it that way.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yes, and i have yet to see a wall switched disposal with the switch in the next room. Mine are all hardwired.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I know of complete factories that are GFCI protected and most high voltage protection systems that include 87 (IEEE) GFI protection.

They can and should be used but will find defective wiring.

-------------------- "Steve Barker" wrote in message news:8Lmdne6utvgG2PnTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... motors will often trip GFCI's that is why they should never be used on refrigerators, disposals, diswashers and sump pumps and the like.

Reply to
m II

They were al called GFI in the beginning. It's the same thing from different companies.

----------------

it has nothing to do with 'choosing'. It is G F C I. GFI is wrong.

Reply to
m II

Yes, that makes more sense now. I got a bad poke from a measuring tape behind a freezer once. I never measure blind anymore.

--------------- "m II" wrote in news:QkV8q.3629$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

Reply to
m II

Dougy gets different water out of his garden hose than he puts in too! LOL

Need some basic electrical theory there Dougy or STFU.

------------------ "Doug Miller" wrote in message news:j4090r$rds$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... Inductive loads such as those presented by electric motors put the return current slightly out of phase with the supply current. If the amplitude of the phase difference exceeds 20mA, the GFCI trips.

Reply to
m II

How's that "music" now, Bill?

And the day ain't even over! LOL

Reply to
Swingman

I Really Was just thinking about your comment as I was reading the messages on this thread. I completed the garbage disposal install tonight in less than an hour, and you kindly answered my question about my 15A rated outlet. Thus, my business is done, and so there is no need for anyone to argue--I mean, *discuss* on my account.

I think the problem is the name I gave to the thread. I just noticed that I misspelled "electrical" and some people are taking out their internal frustration on Doug (who I do not believe deserves it). It could also be the word "quick" offended some people who don't like to be told in advance how long a thread is going to be. Live and learn! Next time I'll try to do better.

Reply to
Bill

Absolutely nothing for you to apologize about. That's the nature of topics that are discussed here. If you had simply asked if you should install a garbage disposal, the thread would probably have taken off anyway. That's the nature of the beast when a similar group of diverse intellects gets together in the same place.

Reply to
Dave

Would an inspector consider a wall switch to be "in sight" when you have you head inside the cupboard working on the disposal and the switch is above the counter?

Reply to
Nova

Just too many teacher types that think their way is the only way. Other types usually have some tolerance.

Bill likes the attention and keeps a new troll going continuously to keep the group interesting.

-------------------

Reply to
m II

I'd say yes, since that's the way MOST of them are wired.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Upside down is completely relative, with respect to standard duplex receptacles. I've seen as many houses with them ground up, as ground down, over 50 years. My current circa 1970 home has ground up, for example. The electricians at work also install them ground up in the computer rooms. I prefer ground up.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Dougy gets different water out of his garden hose than he puts in too! LOL

Need some basic electrical theory there Dougy or STFU.

I would be sure Doug Miller was using an analogy and doesn't actually believe currents could be different in a series circuit. Most electrical people should know better than that.

Cut the guy some slack.

Reply to
Eric