Quick Electrial Question

Page 5 of 8
Swingman wrote:

One man's noise is another man's music. You carry around an outlet tester and speak with inspectors in the course of your work. I do not have the same background. I learned more than 1 or 2 useful things and also received a valuable suggestion to check the wiring of my switch!
Please don't let my posts cause you any aggravation. I was going to reply to the message requesting which outlet tester you recommended. Of course, your reply was more informative and more interesting than one I would have been able to write. I don't read the threads that seem like "noise" to me--and being a "(rural) country blues" fan, I have a really good ear for noise! I have a banjo and a fiddle too, so I Really know somemthing about noise... ;)
Cheers, Bill
On 9/4/2011 4:00 PM, Bill wrote:

Where do you see "aggravation" exhibited? AMMOF, do you not know what " :) " is?
As for the noise, stick around ... this is an electrical thread on the wRec. As such it stands a historical chance of still being alive weeks from now.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/4/2011 4:00 PM, Bill wrote:

How's that "music" now, Bill?
And the day ain't even over! LOL
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

I Really Was just thinking about your comment as I was reading the messages on this thread. I completed the garbage disposal install tonight in less than an hour, and you kindly answered my question about my 15A rated outlet. Thus, my business is done, and so there is no need for anyone to argue--I mean, *discuss* on my account.
I think the problem is the name I gave to the thread. I just noticed that I misspelled "electrical" and some people are taking out their internal frustration on Doug (who I do not believe deserves it). It could also be the word "quick" offended some people who don't like to be told in advance how long a thread is going to be. Live and learn! Next time I'll try to do better.

Absolutely nothing for you to apologize about. That's the nature of topics that are discussed here. If you had simply asked if you should install a garbage disposal, the thread would probably have taken off anyway. That's the nature of the beast when a similar group of diverse intellects gets together in the same place.
Just too many teacher types that think their way is the only way. Other types usually have some tolerance.
Bill likes the attention and keeps a new troll going continuously to keep the group interesting. -------------------
"Dave" wrote in message Absolutely nothing for you to apologize about. That's the nature of topics that are discussed here. If you had simply asked if you should install a garbage disposal, the thread would probably have taken off anyway. That's the nature of the beast when a similar group of diverse intellects gets together in the same place.
m II wrote:

As long as you are speaking about what I like, I would say I like "participating"~~the group dynamics. I actually think I have more strength with the written word than with the spoken word. At least, I think it better reveals my wonderful sense of humor! : ) YMMV

Something sadly discovered, the hard way, by so many, is that a pure text medium does not lend itself well to humour and especially sarcasm. It has to be marked clearly as such no matter how obvious the poster thinks it should be. But it mimics real life in that if you used it in a crowd of say...100 people, somebody is going to "punch you in the mouth". **SIGH**
Then there is the bullies mostly fitting into the former mentioned group.
---------------- "Bill" wrote in message As long as you are speaking about what I like, I would say I like "participating"~~the group dynamics. I actually think I have more strength with the written word than with the spoken word. At least, I think it better reveals my wonderful sense of humor! : ) YMMV
m II wrote:

m II wrote:

It is suitable enough for my humour and sarcrasm...lol

On 9/5/2011 6:21 PM, Bill wrote:

In my humble opinion, "m II" is best ignored...
Around my parts, grounds must be crimped together to join.
On 9/4/2011 5:36 AM, Bill wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Then it's grounded though the water in the pipes. And the ground wire to the disposal.
To get a shock you need a voltage _difference_. Not gonna happen with a garbage disposal full of water.
=================Geeeez! I hope you don't actually believe that one. Water is not a good or reliable ground. Pure water is a complete insulator.
Not acceptable, not safe and will not pass the safety requirement in any code (use of water for ground). Copper pipes can make good conductors but not to be relied on in most cases.
--
Eric

says...

If the water is a good enough conductor for you to get injured through it then it's good enough to keep the sink and disposal at ground potential.
This isn't the radio in the bathtub scenario. The current source is buried deep in the guts of the disposal and the shortest path is going to be inside the disposal, not through the water in the sink that is likely to shock you.
But you go on being afraid of garbage disposals. The rest of us have lives.

Wouldn't be allowed in the UK. Putting any kind of electrical outlet where it might get wet, such as under a sink, is a definite no-no. GFCI, RCCD or not.
The socket outlets are above the work-top and the cables brought up through small holes at the back to the plugs.
--
Stuart Winsor

On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited circumstances that do not pertain here.
Doug Miller wrote:

I'm surprised it is allowed to use a flexible cord which, because of the nature of the device, has such a high probability of laying in water at some point if the 36" cord is merely plugged in. I won't let the cord rest on the bottom surface.
Admittedly, the cord appears to be of very good quality. Surely it is waterproof unless it cracks.
says...

If it's plugged in the electrical code does not apply. Code stops at the outlet. Fire code or other codes may apply but not the electrical code. I don't know why people have so much trouble with this.

A garbage disposal is required to have a disconnect which the plug in meets code for a disposal.
Mike M
On 9/4/2011 8:31 PM, Mike M wrote:

Yes, but so does a wall switch, as long as it's within sight. (2008 NEC, Article 422.31(B))
On 9/4/2011 7:56 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

yes, and i have yet to see a wall switched disposal with the switch in the next room. Mine are all hardwired.
--
Steve Barker