Quick Electrial Question

Page 4 of 8
-MIKE- wrote :

Yes they are. 1 For different applications ie Medical, domestic, Industrial etc. 2 There are different rules in ifferent jurisdictions and countries.
--
John G.

I'm not looking forward to the day you have to update the firmware in your GFCI outlet.
Puckdropper

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's *no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.
It's really _not_ necessary, and provides a benefit only under *very* limited (and _very_ unusual) circumstances.
There's no real -harm- in putting one in, although it may cause an un- necessary service call by the _next_ owner, if -- no, *WHEN* -- it trips.
On 9/3/11 8:22 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Do me a favor and underline and bold type some more, could you? :-p
--

-MIKE-

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged into a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an internal switch.
To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

=========== Without a real switch on the unit you may want to unplug the beast when you have to get your hand down it's throat and pull out some string to untangle the jam in there.
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

Thanks. I'm going to do that. I just got the box screwed up with the romex connector firmly attached. The working conditions are tight, otherwise I wouldn't be taking a break..lol.

After serious thinking Eric wrote :

Jam (Oh! Jello)goes down very easily. :-)
--
John G.

The sink is pretty thoroughly grounded in most residences.
==== No ground on my sink via the ABS drain pipes or the PEX supply tubes either.
--
Eric

says...

Then it's grounded though the water in the pipes. And the ground wire to the disposal.
To get a shock you need a voltage _difference_. Not gonna happen with a garbage disposal full of water.
Thanks for helping me out folks.
I installed the outlet and I'm getting a green light from the outlet tester Swingman suggested that I get, so life is good. For the time being, the switch for the garbage disposal will turn a lamp on and off. : )
Splicing together three guage 12 ground wires under pitiful conditions seemed to be the hardest part. I think it was Mike M. who said last year that one can do it even if the wires are not straight. Gosh, I can't. But I did end up with a really nice-lookin' splice--and it was a good thing I did when I did, because wire was getting scarce : )
The rest of the garbage disposal install should be like a piece-of-cake, or something else if you don't like cake.
Bill

Can't find it in previous messages. What outlet tester did Swingman suggest you get?
On 9/4/2011 5:49 AM, Dave wrote:

Similar to this one:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/74-300&t=1
When building a house, and during electrical trimout and inspections I always carry one in my pocket.
Most inspector aren't going to accept that a receptacle requiring GFCI is indeed that unless they can see it/hear it trip. Sometimes GFCI is located on other floors (utility room for an outdoor circuit, ect) so when they question, you have a ready means to answer.
Saves a lot of unnecessary questions, and helpful in trouble shooting circuits also.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks. One more question. I looked up GFI and GFCI. Is there a difference between these two or is it just the nomenclature one chooses to use?
On 9/4/2011 9:53 AM, Dave wrote:

No differences: "Ground Fault Interrupter" vs "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter".
Otherwise know as an RCD "Residual Current Device", I believe other countries may have other names for them.
Recently there is another device that is now required by code in bedrooms in the many US locales, the AFCI "Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter" ... in the form of an AFCI c'bkr in the service panel. One of the big reasons for this requirement is the recent proliferations of ceiling fans placed in bedroom on lighting circuits, not all properly installed as a retrofit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/4/2011 10:53 AM, Dave wrote:

Same thing exactly: Ground Fault [Circuit] Interrupter.
On 9/4/2011 9:53 AM, Dave wrote:

it has nothing to do with 'choosing'. It is G F C I. GFI is wrong.
--
Steve Barker
They were al called GFI in the beginning. It's the same thing from different companies.
"Steve Barker" wrote in message wrote:

it has nothing to do with 'choosing'. It is G F C I. GFI is wrong.
--
Steve Barker
On 9/4/2011 4:36 AM, Bill wrote:

As you have no doubt noted, there is no such thing as a quick answer to an electrical question on the wRec. Where one answer will suffice, you will get a dozen of the same, adding nothing more but noise. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010