Questions, questions...

I've been lurking here for a while now, and each time I need some info or advice it seems I nearly always find some golden nuggets in posts, past and present, as well as by going to the links found in posts that usually leads me to the info I need. As for google - eh, not so good yet :) And while I've been taking a long time to set up a woodworking shop, I'm having just as much fun working to tune up my power and hand tools through the info learned here. So to all those who get annoyed at the newbie questions - the ones who have answered those questions have provided quite a lot of valuable info that has enabled me, at least, to get much farther, much faster, and at less expense than would have been possible otherwise (as well as possibly avoiding expensive mistakes). And for those with wit as well as wisdom, thanks for the entertainment as well as the info - please keep it coming. I do have a few questions though, any wreckers here in northern New Jersey? And if so, where do you buy hardwoods? I have been doing all the usual searches - internet, phone book, asking around, etc. but haven't found anything better than the local lumber yards that cater to builders (and they keep their lumber outside).

Reply to
Sailaway

How far north are you? There's Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge

and US Mahogany in Aberdeen
There was also a place in Elizabeth but I don't know the name or if it still exists.

Buddy (Lakewood, NJ)

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Buddy wrote: How far north are you? There's Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge

and US Mahogany in Aberdeen
There was also a place in Elizabeth but I don't know the name or if it still exists.

Buddy, That's still pretty far south, a few hours on the Garden State Parking Lot on most days. Was hoping to find something up my neck of the woods, around Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties. I live near Paterson. Thanks though.

Reply to
Sailaway

Sorry, left this out

RicodJour

Condon's in Stormville, NY is about 60 miles from Tenafly. Wood-Ply in Freeport, NY

is about 35 miles.

RicodJour

Sailaway

I'm > Sailaway wrote:

Reply to
dteckie

Reply to
Gerald

Ricodjour sent this: Condon's in Stormville, NY is about 60 miles from Tenafly. Wood-Ply in Freeport, NY

is about 35 miles. Sorry, left this out
I'll check these out. I thought Condon's was just flooring. Their website doesn't mention anything about other woods. Woodply looks like the closest.

Reply to
Sailaway

dtekie allowed me his experience thusly: I like Garreson in upstate NY. Easy to deal with and have been happy with their wood.

Lumber is good also purchased oak a couple years ago and was very satisfied.
've thought about ordering online, but since I'm new to wood as opposed to metal (other than basic carpentry) I wanted to learn by seeing and touching the wood and asking questions of the wood dealers until I am comfortable enough to purchase online. And of course, everything is more expensive in NJ! Can't wait for the new gas taxes... Thanks for the info

Reply to
Sailaway