Questions on Delta 14" Bandsaw?

Don't take this as gospel, but I discovered with my bandsaw, which was marked 28-280 on the boxes it came in, that it is really a 28-203 (I think) with a 1 HP motor and enclosed base. That's what makes it a '280.

There are other iterations as well. 3/4 HP, open base, etc., which, as you and I are both hinting at, can cause a change in the numbers.

As far as the Platinum Edition is concerned, that was around for only a year or two, and to my knowledge, didn't have any effect on the model numbers--just paint color. The X-5 series seems to have thrown numbering all over the place. I couldn't depend on any model number nowadays as having relevance to those I was at one time sort of comfortable with.

Unisaws are the worst, I think.

Frank Broecchter (sp? Sorry, Frank) may be able to answer some of your questions more authoritatively.

Reply to
LRod

marcaf

I have owned the Delta 28-475 for a year now and use it daily. Even though I use it every day, I don't care for it, but i'm stuck with it. Set up was troublesome, had to replace the belts, the cord wouldn't reach with the extension attached, had to modify this and that, not to mention it's underpowered for my use. Well, I can go on and on, but I would reconsider buying this machine for what it's worth.

Charlee wrote:

Reply to
marcaf

It is pretty close to gospel ... the 28-203 was Delta's basic, and only, wood cutting 14" bandsaw for a long time... made in USA, with some of the forging done in Mexico for a while and sold in different packages, with stand, without stand, limited edition, motor size (3/4 and 1 HP mostly), and various model numbers designating package.

Reviews are mixed on Delta's new bandsaws and the model numbers have turned into alphanumeric confusion.

Reply to
Swingman

Anyone owning a Delta 14" bandsaw can explain the differences between various models, such as Delta model 28-475X, Delta model 28-263 Platinum Edition and model 28-206. What are the differences, in HP, Carter blade guides, made in the USA, Taiwan or China?

I am particular interested in buying a used Platinum Edition and trying to understand Delta model numbering system. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Charlee

There are two flavors of the basic 14" bandsaw. The base model 28-200 came out many years ago (mine is a 1979) and it was manufactured for many years prior to that.

The basic design has changed very little but Delta did make the same mistakes others have made and went with the cheaper version to be sold to the general public.

The all start out with the same appearance and change models by adding or subtracting various "features".

The most common features are (1) motor size (2) paint color and (3) with or without a fence (4) open/closed base.

Another marketing genius decided that by changing the color and adding a mobile base, this would be another model #.

There are several "current" versions:

28-206 $700-800

28-248 $1000+

28-475X $1000

There is also a vanilla version with open base 28-276 $439 often seen in Home Centers.

The cheaper model is simply that...cheaper and not as beefy or as sturdy as it's very similar brothers.

LRod wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

The X-5 (475) is itself a "copy" and a "price point" re-engineered one to boot.

Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back a year or so ago about the differences

You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the direction of the imports, quality-wise.

The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using. This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.

Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore (3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside diameter).

Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta

1.5 hp as well.

I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher price tag for the saw."

Obviously bears occasional repeating, IMO.

Reply to
Swingman

28-475X - The last promotional unit that Delta produced in Tupelo. Transferred to Jackson, TN, and still in production. Made in the USA (depending on the serial number, newer production may be loaded up with some Chinese iron, but still assembled in Jackson, TN. No Carters, but, that's not a bad thing necessarily. 1.5 HP (at least the early production used the same basic motor as the last domestically produced contractor saw and it was strong, rated really at 2 hp at 240V and a marginal 1.75hp at 120V. Has the best dust collection of the lot, and lots of features that you may or may not be interested in (numerous preset table tilts, pattern makers love those for inducing draft in casting patterns, preset blade tension for various width blades with quick release, good tension spring, etc). If buying new, has 5 year warranty and some free goods.

At the time of introduction, this model beat every competitor in every comparable feature, including things the buyer would not see like arm defelction under blade tension. Competitors have released some newer models, and I haven't had the opportunity to keep up.

Better hurry on that one new. Based on the number Delta experienced people who have recently been put on the street by B & D, I would suspect they are throwing in the towel on domestic units and going all import.

Platinum Edition - one promotion prior to X5. Late '90s time frame. Fully made in the USA, including motor. strong 1HP resiliant mount motor. I think it only came out under the one model number. it was primarily a color, touch points and free goods promotion. Premium stock blade. I believe it had Carters. A very good unit. Essentially the base and overarm is the same as units going back 40 years.

28-206 - An enclosed stand version imported from China. 1HP. If I had a choice of either of the above listed models, I would take them over this one, although it sells at a lower price new than they might used.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

??? Well sure it is a "copy" in that it is a 14" iron frame bandsaw. But no one had any of the features (dust collection design, preset tensions for multiple blade widths, 1.5 Hp, multiple table tilt presets) at the time of introduction. We thought it was innovative :~)

No, the goal was to add a half horse, create a one box pack, improve the dust collection to the best available, add preset blade tensioning and quick tension release, add multiple table tilt presets ( for those demanding casting pattern makers) add all new, improved blade tension spring components and in doing so, keep it cost nuetral to the unit that preceded it. Mission was accomplished.

A good idea. Also top of the stand on early models tended to oil can a bit (not lighter gage but wider expanse, bigger cuttouts). I think an angle rib was added to later models, easy to add one to early models. bolt on ok, no need to weld. It will be obvious what to do if you study it a bit.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Regardless, until you guys/Delta put the extra 1/2 horse on the 299a, IIRC, there was never much question about which was the best 14" bandsaw out here in the real world. Once that happened, it has been a downhill ride in quality, at least in this mere observer's estimation.

It might not be a fair assessment, or benchmark, but the perception and hands-on of the folks out here who use/buy the tools seem to all tell the same tale, sorry to say.

Could those "cost neutral" improvements be the reason for what I, and many others, have perceived (hell, noticed to the point of being slapped in the face with some shoddy product), as a loss in quality?

The cost of these "improvements" had to come at some price, and it certainly appears to me that they were made in conjunction with some "value engineering" to insure "mission accomplished"?

Not taking you to task, but telling you that I was once a BIG fan of Delta table saws and Bandsaws, own both, and what I see on the market today, despite the rhetoric and "cost neutral improvements", does not compare to what I have in my shop ... it's that simple.

In short, and sorry to say, I've pretty much lost all faith in most Delta products, since about 2002/3.

That sucks ... and maybe it's just a cynical, aging codger viewpoint, but it still sucks.

Reply to
Swingman

My apologies for butchering your last name in my post. I've seen it here many times, and I obviously know who you are (as apparently do a lot of others) but I just couldn't put my fingers on one of your posts to get it spelled correctly. Sorry. I meant well.

Reply to
LRod

Not a problem. I get tickled regularly listening to people trying to properly pronounce it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Don't know, but nothing was taken away with that "cost nuetral" change with the exception of the pulleys already mentioned and they were bought with a balanced specification BTW. All the remainder was added. Larger table, and all the feature mentioned above, all from focus groups or user requests.

The cost of packing one box instead of two, hardly a customer concern. The cost the additional HP came from volume breaks by using a very strong motor that was already in use for other units. You buy more, you get a better price.

The customer did have to assemble the stand rather than have it assembled and welded in the factory which helped cost but would hardly be an quality issue. And the separate sub base was eliminated as being a costly look good but do nothing of value item.

The idea was to take away nothing of importance and add as much as possible. If that perception is not there, maybe mission was not accomplished.

And in the world we live in cost is very important. When all of your competition is from China cost becomes a focus. I could write a book on the quality differences, but would do no good, a lot of people buy on price and price alone. And soon, I believe, there will be no domestic alternative.

Sorry to hear that, however, since I haven't made the product since about that time frame, I don't have to take it personally. Wouldn't anyway, opinions valuable, and when statistically relevant, often drove changes.

Understandable. Particularly for another aging codger. Nobody is more upset with the decline, perceived or real, than I am. It's a legacy thing.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Botcher, Bercher, Bowcher?

Reply to
LRod

When pot metal knobs break off in my hand, and the plastic bits crack ... it's real.

Hell, I grew up thinking/knowing that Delta tools were the best in the world, and there was some comfort there. Then Elvis went and got fat and died, LBJ sent me a draft notice, SRV just had to go get on that damn helicopter, Delta went from Tupelo to Hell-in-a-handbasket, and now Brittney went and flashed us with her thing proving they're all the same ... things just ain't what they used to be.

Reply to
Swingman

Including the scar.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Got that right! Speaking of Elvis, you weren't here last week when the birthday crowd showed up were you? :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Betcher as in "You Betcher life it is" O is silent.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Nahhh ... I got my velvet Elvis, with the neon frame, over the bed, to comfort me. ;)

Reply to
Swingman