Questions on building a gazebo

Hi,experts: I got a very exciting project ,wife already approved to building a

14' gazebo, purchased the plan, I have the following question 1) Should I a) cut first -> build it ->then paint, or b) cut-> paint-> build? both have advantages and disadvantages, if I select a), then there will some place will I could not paint (the connect point), but if I select b), then the paint process will take much longer, and I may have to repaint some of then later on if I have to recut to make the adjustment. 2) I am thinking using treated wood for the gazebo post, but I am worry about the poison the inject inside the wood, will it be a health hazard if I stay in the gazebo for a long time? 3) If I using red wood as post, with 2 foot underground with concrete, should I worry about the moisture and insect damage in long term? 4) if I using redwood, do I have to using heart redwood?

I am sure I will have more questions, but above it what I could think of. thanks in advance for any reply or suggestions.

John

Reply to
John

John:

Perhaps this is a troll, but I have some free time today.

Depends, I guess. I'd ask my lumber supplier perhaps. The other is to do a bit of research. There are great books on gazebo's and they might have the answer you seek.

Treated wood using arsenic is going away, if not already gone. The replacement uses copper. Suggest you get a datasheet from your lumber dealer if they have one. Or look for a website from either your state or a federal gov (EPA would be as start). Seem to recall that the biggest danger in the old stuff was to kids long term. They tend to put their hands to mouth after touching it or actually putting their mouths around it. I avoid it if I can and prefer redwood or cedar.

How long is "long term". Redwood will eventually decay but it will take a long time - probably about 20+ years (my guess). Here in California, we use redwood for fence posts all the time and the ones in my neighborhood have been around for at least 25+ years. Eventually, like I say, they will decay and rot out.

If would be best, but not so. Try here for those answers. I just surfed over to it and they have a lot of info:

luck

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace