Question regarding removing old adhesive from a wooden ceiling.

I just stripped some old ceiling tiles from the kitchen in an older house my mother just bought. There was a great looking tounge and groove ceiling up behind the tiles, just with tons of adhesive blobs still stuck to the wood that kept the tiles up. We want to keep the wooden ceiling, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what we need to use to remove the old adhesive. I have no idea what the adhesive is made of. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brandon Addison

Reply to
Brandon Addison

The most efficient way to remove it is with a chipping iron. or similar brute- force instrument.

Chances are good that that the mastic has stained the wood. depends somewhat on how the wood was finished _before_ the tile went up.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Dunno about the wood, but I removed some off drywall (stupid ugly dark cheap paneling) by using an electric paint chipper followed with acetone.

Reply to
Bill

A strong Methylene Chloride stripper will remove it. Try the Jasco Glue and Adhesive remover or similar. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson