Question on using different finishes

I can't seem to keep this straight. If you were going to use different finishes on a single project, what types are OK to apply over others?
For instance, I know that you can use dewaxed shellac over or under any other film finish.
What can go on over an oil finish? Can water-based poly go over oil-based, and vice-versa? What about varnishes?
I've tried some manufacturers websites, but they seem to be avoiding the question.
Any help would be appreciated.
tt
A couple of popular books on the subject: "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner - I like this one.
Jeff Jewitt just released a new book, "Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing". Haven't seen it, but he is highly regarded. He wrote "Great Wood Finishes" and "Hand Applied Finishes". I like Andy Charron's "Spray Finishing", as I use an HVLP.
There is so much to know about finishing, that you would be well served by purchasing and studying a couple of books on the subject, IMHO.
David
Test Tickle wrote:

I'll second a recommendation for Flexner's book. He goes into this topic quite a bit.
todd

I'll third the recommendation for Flexner, he's the man. The more you learn about finishing the more useful the book becomes.
Rich

<snip>
I got the Jeff Jewitt "Complete Illustrated Guide..." There's an awful lot there; more than I could absorb in one or two sessions. Definitely worth the purchase price.
Patriarch
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:56:36 GMT, patriarch

have any of your recommendations.
tt
Visit www.homesteadfinishing.com and look through the forums, LOTS of stuff there.
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:54:52 GMT, Test Tickle