Question on staining oak

Page 3 of 3
krw wrote: ...

Ayup... :)
> ... Naptha ~= gasoline.
Not really; naptha is much lighter fraction and mostly straight-chained hydrocarbon, not aromatic. Is used as additive in gasoline (and many other uses as well, of course)...

It's what gasoline is made from. AKA "Coleman fuel".
BTW, ~= is "about equal to".
krw wrote: ...

No, it and gasoline are refined petroleum products, but "~=" comes in fairly distant in this case.
It is primarily aliphatic light hydrocarbons w/ C number betweeen C5 to C9 and is treated to remove aromatics and has almost no benzene (<0.01%).
Gasoline, otoh, contains 20-30% ethyl benzene and significant fractions up to C12.
IOW, "white gas" is far more refined and much lighter than gasoline.
They both burn, it's true... :)

There are many variants of Naptha I have learned. In my local paint store they sell VM&P Naptha (Varnish Makers and Painters)
Dick Snyder wrote: ...

Yes, and none should be confused w/ automotive gasoline as is much lighter fraction (essentially more refined).
Gasoline isn't particularly well suited for finish work at all--it can be used in a desperate pinch or for cleanup but even there it doesn't evaporate as cleanly so still should be rinsed to avoid leaving "gummy" residues...
krw wrote:

Naptha = lighter fluid. Both it and gasoline burn, naptha is much less likely (ever?) to go BOOM (IME and I'm 76 :)
--

dadiOH