Question on Selecting Blum Hinges

Hi folks,

I have a large face frame cabinet that I am building and I am looking at using Blum hinges. I am amazed at the selection available and I am having a difficult time deciding which hinge to use. Here is my situation.

  • Maple face frame 3/4" thick
  • I have two maple raised panel doors (each 26 5/8" wide, 68 5/8" tall). The door rails and styles are 3/4" inch thick.
  • Each door will overlap the opening by 1/2" (right, left, top, bottom)
  • I would like the doors to open 100=B0 or more

This is my second cabinet project (I am still a newbie). I used Blum screw mount units before and thought they were great, but I see that a number of people are recommending Inserta. I do not understand what the difference is?

Also, what do you recommend for the number of hinges per door?

Thanks.

Biff

Reply to
biff

this is what I used

is screw on and 134-540 are press in. with press in you use larger holes for the plastic inserts that are attached to the hinges with screws. the others simply screw to the door. I would recomend 3 hinges. no less. I used these on three seperate sets of kitchen cabinets. 12 - 20 cabinets per set and have not had a failure yet. the first set is 6 years old. these numbers are for 1/2" overlay.

skeez

skeez

Reply to
skeez

For regular upper and lower doors, 2 hinges is sufficient. Pantries benefit from 3.

3 Hinges also tend to fight each other while 2 hinges always share the load.
Reply to
Robatoy

used

>>> 134-537 is screw on and 134-540 are press in. with press in you use

agreed. BUT the size of this door makes me think 3 would be better. 28

5/8 wide and 68 5/8 tall is a lot of door for 2 hinges. but then it may also be too large for these hinges....... if this is a single opening why not make it a pair of doors? Just my humble opinion.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Oops. I read 3 hinges as a general recommendation. I should have paid closer attention to context. Indeed, for that particular door, 3 for sure. Also to make it into 2 doors is a better idea as a 28" door needs a LOT of room to swing into.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a large face frame cabinet that I am building and I am looking at using Blum hinges. I am amazed at the selection available and I am having a difficult time deciding which hinge to use. Here is my situation.

  • Maple face frame 3/4" thick
  • I have two maple raised panel doors (each 26 5/8" wide, 68 5/8" tall). The door rails and styles are 3/4" inch thick.
  • Each door will overlap the opening by 1/2" (right, left, top, bottom)
  • I would like the doors to open 100° or more

This is my second cabinet project (I am still a newbie). I used Blum screw mount units before and thought they were great, but I see that a number of people are recommending Inserta. I do not understand what the difference is?

Also, what do you recommend for the number of hinges per door?

Thanks.

I buy these by the 100 packs. They screw into the edge of the door opening of the face frame and are very easy to mount if you attach to the door first. You can drill the holes with a 1-3/8" forstner bit.

Leon

Actually, there are two identical doors over a very large opening. I have built a large entertainment unit and as part of the agreement, my wife got a kind of a closet. The closet has two doors, each as I have described.

Biff

Reply to
biff